Is there a way to remove or limit the Level Adjustment?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Niels de Jong, May 17, 2023.

Remove all ads!
  1. Niels de Jong

Niels de Jong Member

So I wanted to try making a drow character, but the +2 Level Adjustment is a tad too much, especially at the lower levels. Is there a way to remove that?

Or a Mod that forces the character to play as an NPC class for a number of levels equal to their Level Adjustment score? So you'd have to (for example) take two levels of Warrior as a drow before you can start taking levels into the player classes?

https://srd.dndtools.org/srd/classes/npcClasses.html

2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Yes, it is possible to remove the +2 level adjustment. Firstly, you need to create an Overrides folder as per page 25 of the
    New Temple+ Available discussion.

3. Niels de Jong

Niels de Jong Member

Alright, thank you! I have just commented there: https://co8.org/community/threads/new-temple-available.13049/page-26

However, I looked over things, and I'm still a tad confused on how override folders exactly work, and also if the "races alteration" is the option I'm looking for?

4. Buffed Rabbit

Buffed Rabbit Established Member

This is what you are looking for.

5. Niels de Jong

Niels de Jong Member

Awesome, thank you!

One last thing though, what did he mean with this? "Anything you put in here is the last word so you can make files that override everything. Look at https://github.com/GrognardsFromHell/TemplePlus/tree/master/tpdatasrc/tpgamefiles - your directory will overwrite anything in this folder."?

Did he mean to show that as an example? And what did he mean with "the last word"?

And finally, do I type all of that only within that "mod_specs.json" word file? Or do I have to find the races text file and modify that one?

6. Buffed Rabbit

Leave mod_specs.json blank. Edit the race text you want to alter as instructed.

7. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Hey all, I am struggling with changing the level adjustment myself. I created the overrides folder, so path is:

Overrides Folder >> Folder named Olly's Tweaks >> Inside this folder i have a text file named "mod_specs.json" and a folder names rules >> folder named races >>

Now here is where i cant figure it out. I am copying the text in the .py files but creating them as a text file in the races folder. I dont have python so i cant download and then alter the file. Help!

Edit- I downloaded python and downloaded the raw files from the github link and then edited them and put them into the races folder. Still nothing.

When I load up the game it says unknown in the bottom right corner.

Not sure if I need to re-download the game and start over haha.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  8. Buffed Rabbit

You do not need python, open it with your windows txt editor and modify it.

9. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Hmm ok I will try that

10. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

So, the problem that i am seeing is when i open temple plus in the bottom right corner it shows "UNKNOWN" so it is not showing Olly's Tweaks or anything i have put in the overrides folder.

Currently i am using temple plus, c08 new content edition and i also added sagenlight's last beta for the additional classes and spells. Could using sagenlight be causing a problem?

My game is playable i just honestly want to try aasimar and tiefling, etc without the level penalty.

Any thoughts?

11. Pygmy

I suggest you delete your overrides folder and then extract the following:

PRC Early Entry Mod file - Temple+ mod for The Temple of Elemental Evil - Mod DB

directly into your Temple of Elemental Evil folder.

My feeling is that Olly's Tweaks is not a recognised mod.

If PRC Early Entry Mod is recognised you can add races to existing rules directory and remove both Mystic Theurge and Eldritch Knight mods if required.

12. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Thanks for that suggestion. I will check that in the next day or two (damn work!), that does make sense. I was just going off of the instructions on that other post so i assumed making that overrides folder in that way was fine. I was also confused by "make a text file" i literally was right clicking and selecting new text file and then copying the information over to the text file i just created. Which is why i assumed i need python or some other tool to do it.

13. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Pygmy. The good news is I was able to download the prc entry mod and now when I load up that mods name is down in the lower corner.

The bad news is the race level adjustment is still not working.

I download the raw file from the github and moved it into the prc mod under rules, races. But that part is still not working. :(

I feel like a dunce haha

14. Pygmy

Try putting the attached file into rules\races instead of the race064_aasimar.py file you have already

Attached Files:

15. OLLY613

OLLY613 Member

Ok I will try that. Now obviously just to make sure I should be putting this into the rules/races in the new overrides folder right?

Our Host!