Nightwalker - ouch!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by MrPhil, Dec 13, 2022.

Remove all ads!
  1. MrPhil

MrPhil Member

I've fought plenty of Nightwalkers in the past, and I've never seen this, so I was wondering if someone could explain what happend.

Facing off against said Nightwalker and a bunch of inconsequential greater shadows.

My little wizard cast protection from evil so as not to be bothered by the fear effect.
    The Nightwalker did the fear effect and then, I think something else.
    I noticed a failed save in the dialog window (presumably *another* natural 1), and and the words DEAD! floated above my wizard.

By the time I'd clocked something was up, the game had switched to the Game Over Crow.

Two questions - what happened, essentailly what was the the effect that the Nightwalker used.
    - what can a wizard without access to death ward do to prevent it?

Thanks

Phil.

2. Buffed Rabbit

Buffed Rabbit Established Member

Tip: Boost your will and fort saves and guard against fear effects.

From the co8 guide: "In the moathouse dungeon, there is a Nightwalker in the rightmost room where the bugbears were. The Nightwalker is an extremely powerful undead that can kill a character if they fail their Fortitude save against its deadly spell. It's not necessary to fight the Nightwalker."

3. MrPhil

MrPhil Member

Thanks Mr Rabbit.
    I did have protection from evil to try to combat fear effects.
    I had a pretty good fort save as well, with a rat and a cloak+5 and amulet of health +6.
    I was probably looking at only failing on a 1, which is why I've never seen that happen before.

Does anybody know what their deadly spell is? Spellcraft is not providing clues.
    And, more importantly, does anyone know how to protect a character from this spell?

If a nightwalker is rocking a spell that essentially reads "roll a D20, if you get a 1 you die" that's quiet a scary prospect given that they appear in random encounters.

4. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

From the guide:

5. MrPhil

MrPhil Member

Is death ward the only viable defensive option?

6. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Potion or spell of greater Heroism is for me the best option in that fight

7. MrPhil

MrPhil Member

Thank for pitching in Oleg.
    I'm not sure I follow how greater heroism helps.

From the srd:

This spell functions like heroism, except the creature gains a +4 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks, immunity to fear effects, and temporary hit points equal to your caster level (maximum 20).

Immunity to fear is great, and +4 to fort save will certainly help, but it seems to me that you are stil risking rolling a 1 vs the finger of death.

Am I missing something else?

Thanks.

8. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

There's also the option of going first and destroying all your opposition (AoE spam, etc.) before it can hurt back.

9. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

Have you tried or thought about talking to the potion seller in the swamp?

Fwiw, I think you are getting overly-worried about a 1 in 20 chance. Also, once the Nightwalker is engaged in melee combat it seldom casts the spells.

10. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Greater Heroism never failed me, but sure a 1 roll can always break your neck. But I think that's the way it should be.

11. MrPhil

MrPhil Member

I ran into the nightwalker in a random encounter before the moathouse respawn quest was available. Otherwise stocking up on potions is the way to go.

Our Host!