Highlight Items - Tab Key

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by temyankee, Aug 13, 2022.

Remove all ads!
  1. temyankee

temyankee Bard of the World

Why does the Tab key not work? no matter what I do, the Tab key will not highlight items for me. How can I fix this problem? Please help.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

16 years first post! Awesome.

What items were you trying to highlight? Insanely small ones sometimes just don't show up too well.

3. Ossie

Ossie Member

I have the same problem. Have played multiple times & this always worked. Recently uninstalled game & put new GOG install in, with NC8.1.0 over the top - now Tab does not highlight anything at all?

4. Buffed Rabbit

Buffed Rabbit Established Member

Sometimes custom resolutions do not display correctly that thin blue outline of the highlighted items. That's a rare case though and I only encountered it once.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, changing resolutions is certainly worth trying. (There's a stickied post about such things for laptop owners).

Also, if you are in Combat mode for some reason, it may not work - trying pressing 'C' to make sure you are not in Combat mode.

6. Ossie

Ossie Member

Thanks - I've tested all available resolutions but no change - worked previously on this setup, only thing new is NC8.1.0

Bodies *do* show up as blue, just not other things able to be interacted with on the map, such as wells & barrels in Hommlet, the bookcase in the temple etc. Specifically I'm thinking of small objects laying on the ground that will be impossible to see without highlight, such as the Lotus Flower for Amil's cure

7. hentaikamen

hentaikamen Member

I think some maps with bluish ground makes really small items hard to see. I don't remember which map, but I think it was night time and the ground became bluish. I dropped some really small items on the ground and I had a hard time locating those items. Either that or my eyes are tired and I couldn't focus.

8. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

I just checked an old game because I don't remember containers ever being highlighted. And I guess this has always been the case with Tab:

-containers do not highlight
    -all ground items do highlight.

However, unlike some games like BG where some containers are purely scenic, all containers in ToEE (iirc) are operational. So this is not needed.

Since the lotus is a ground object, it will highlight. (Always has for me).

9. Ossie

Ossie Member

The number of times I miss-remember how a game I've played a dozen times actually works is pretty embarrassing.........

Some containers also highlight when you hover over them, so I figured they should also be turning up with Tab. Thanks for confirming - glad that Tab is working.

My only comment is that not all containers are operational: most are part of the same background art for the environment. Operational containers have the mouse pointer turn into a hand when you hover over them. Some can be empty if you open them, even if they are operational, but you can have a row of four boxes (for eg) with three not being able to be interacted with, and one a "container". Which means you have to hover over everything in the map to see what turns into a hand icon (bookcase in the Cuthbert temple upper floor is a good eg, as well as some wells in Hommlet). Hence why containers turning blue as well would be useful - but I guess it was never the case! Been spoiled by too much BG & NWN lately!

Thanks again for answering

Our Host!