Otis attacks me if I visit the Temple

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by hentaikamen, Aug 19, 2022.

Remove all ads!
  1. hentaikamen

hentaikamen Member

I'm playing a Lawful Evil party and recruited Otis. If I visit the Temple, he attacks my party. He doesn't attack me if I visited any other places. I spared Lareth and rescue him from Hommlet dungeon. Burne and Rufus are a bit rude but I don't know if it's because of the party alignment or the reputation I've gained so far.

My reputations:
    • St. Cuthbert Disciple
    • Old Faith Donor
    • Champion Brawler
    • Friend of Lareth the Beautiful
    • Grud Buddy
    • Exorcist
    • Victor of the Drinking Contest
    The reputations in gamerep.mes file:
    • {2}{0 0 0, +20 11, -20 12} //St. Cuthbert Disciple
    • {3}{0 0 0, +20 12, -20 11} //Old Faith Donor
    • {14}{0 0 0, +20 14, +10 10} //Champion Brawler
    • {18}{0 0 0, -20 9, -20 10, +20 8, +30 15} //Friend of Lareth the Beautiful
    • {20}{0 0 0, +10 9, -10 11} //Victor of the Drinking Contest
    • {25}{0 0 0, +10 10, +10 13} //Grud Buddy
    • {33}{0 0 0, +10 9} //Exorcist
    • {66}{0 0 0, +10 9, -10 11} //Victor of the Drinking Contest
    Why does Drinking Contest appear twice (20 and 66)?

Calculated reputation for each faction (faction.mes):
    • {8}{Non-affiliated temple} 20
    • {9}{Hommlet villager} 0
    • {10}{Nulb villager} 0
    • {11}{St. Cuthbert member} -10
    • {12}{Old Faith believer} 0
    • {13}{Brothel Member} 10
    • {14}{Pirate} 20
    • {15}{Forces of Lareth} 30
    I didn't take his secret stash and he told me that he's an agent of Furyondy. I did ask him what Nulb people think if they know he's secretly spying on them and he gave me a warning not to tell his secret to others.

What makes Otis attack me if I visit the Temple? His battle cry is "Die, you fiend!" or "Elmo, help me kill him!" if Elmo is in the party.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  2. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

There are very specific maps (temple areas) where it looks like the script will have Otis attack an evil party leader (neutral, lawful, chaotic) if:

• party is heavily injured...similar concept to the moathouse ambush
    • or a specific global is set. This global looks to be: Otis' secret revealed

3. hentaikamen

hentaikamen Member

Party (including NPCs) is at full health. So I doubt it's what triggered him to attack me. What's the moathouse ambush? Turuko's ambush? I think Turuko's ambush still happens even if I'm at full health. But it seems it doesn't happen in a Lawful Evil party (Turuko is the party's superior in Hextor's temple). I expected Zert to ambush me but it didn't happen.

I checked Otis' dialog file and it seems the line where I can threaten to spill his secret (spy for Furyondy) only appears if party alignment is evil. The line appeared and I used it before asking him to join my party.

4. hammyh

If LE Turuko will not join. But otherwise, he and Korbort will turn on you if your party is hurt enough and both are alive.

And also he, Korbort, Zert will ambush upon exiting moathouse after defeating Lareth, if not in your party and was talked to (and not LE party).

Lots of little stuff exists like this. etc etc.

For an example, an evil party can trade/barter Meleny into "slavery", at a certain point.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Zert will turn on you if you go too deep into the Temple with him, or earlier if you are wounded (for memory). People avoid taking him and Turuko / Kobort so they can 'enjoy' the moathouse ambush, but they're there.

6. hentaikamen

hentaikamen Member

Tell me more about Meleny, please. I got the sword from her father but I decided not to bring her because I'm playing an evil party and want to recruit evil NPCs. I have Fruella (not evil, just want to try, she's so annoying) and Ashrem (gonna kill his brother Alrrem)

Tell me more about Zert's betrayal in the Temple, please. I didn't recruit him because I thought he's gonna lead the ambush at the moathouse instead of Turuko (playing a Lawful Evil party).

7. hammyh

Zert will betray you no matter what when his condition is reached. Although I suppose he could be dominated, killed, raised in order to take advantage of that "Exploit"

Turuko+Kobort will only do so if both are alive. It's a bit meta-gamey, but if you get one killed, the other becomes loyal.

There are 2 points where this can impact. Since you've obviously read the guides and are likely past the first occurance, I guess this is no longer a spoiler:

1. Meleny can be traded to Mona instead of paying for the other slave. This has some associated dialog from Meleny and father.
    2. If you are RP and not meta-gaming the Slavers encounter, iirc Meleny will be the sacrifice. (I forget if this is the case with more than one PC). If evil, this could be a shrug and carry on to battle.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  8. hentaikamen

hentaikamen Member

In my previous play (Lawful Good), I brought Meleny and recruited both Serena and Riana. She was jealous because I had 2 more females in my party. I've already done Serena and Riana's quests so I can't try selling Meleny to Mona.

About the Slavers, I haven't tried post Z contents but I don't mind some spoilers.

Speaking of Otis, I noticed that he gets another sword and chainmail if I dismiss and recruit him again. Kinda bugging me because he's carrying 2 swords and 2 chainmails + other items I lend to him, like a better armor and a shield (make him encumbranced).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
Our Host!