Icewind Dale 2 - so I wonder

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by anatoliy, Aug 24, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

The difficulty is where players have probably the most diverse approaches. Some may play it with a group of six characters in easy mode others even play it solo in "Heart of Fury" mode. But I think that most people who will start this game will have a certain affinity with ToEE and the relating D&D ruleset. And I think those people, like myself, will definetly prefer a real challenging game.
    I think it's such a pity that nearly all of the potentially fantastic post Zuggy content is somehow wasted because it's just way too easy for an high level group, except for the Slave Traders the cave fight in Hickory Branch and the Hextorites in the Temple.
    So, Anatoliy, please make it a challenging game but anyway I will be definetly greatful for any kind of game that you can finish.

anatoliy likes this.
  2. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

All right, I'm good with that. I guess this will be first difficulty mode - vanilla. Low Atk, high HP (predefined) for NPC.

Then could be "improved" mode, with elite arrays but with less HP (generated automatically based on Options).

Then "hard" - more dudes, essentially this is from HoF mode. Additional dudes will bear no XP but have loot.

Then "impossible" - even more dudes, essentially this HARD is from HoF mode. Additional dudes will bear no XP but have loot.

I believe it's: Hard mode = +4 Atk, Impossible = +8 Atk. Not sure though.

Sure, thanks!

Vanilla IWD2ToEE

hammyh and Oleg Ben Loleg like this.
  3. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Wow, looks extremly promising, though in your fight the orcs with bows doesn't seem to be a real threat.I remember fighting them with my low lvl group was always quite tough.

anatoliy likes this.
  4. Thorinn

Thorinn Compelled Descender

Just now checking back in and catching up to first, IWD1 module, installing it now...
    P.S. Is there a way to scrape the contents of the python interpreter/console? If I wanted to map out available methods and attributes of objects in more organized way than just looking up random commands?

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

You mean ToEE's python objects?
    https://github.com/GrognardsFromHel...ddb/TemplePlus/python/python_object.cpp#L4320

anatoliy likes this.
  6. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

I soloed IWD1EE on Heart of Fury mode with an Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief. It was slow, but the extra EXP from the 'insane' (highest) difficulty mode made it possible at all and to reach level 30 (the max) in each class before the end.

anatoliy likes this.
  7. anatoliy

Yeah, that's the limitation of AI and IWD2 3.0 engine.

In tabletop you would be suffering from the Grapple, and because ToEE does not have it, from the Trip.

Hold Person plus Coup de grace also would stop such character. Not to forged about Silence.

Also AI concentrates on closest enemy, so summoning works well. In my mod summoned creatures have the least priority.

Sitra Achara likes this.
  8. anatoliy

Yesterday I glanced on Wererats and well Werebadgers. By the MM book in their hybryd forms they should have silver / 10 damage reduction. And Werebadger, which is not canonical creature, should have Rage ability, just like animal has.

Now in IWD2 they have piercing 5 reduction. This I deducted from combat log information, as in CRE files (kind of proto), there is zero indication of any damage reduction.

I also glanced onto gemrb IE emulator sources, damage reduction is taken either from the CRE or from effects (kind of Condition in ToEE).

@Sitra Achara, do you think it's possible to run gemrb in VS under the debug?

In any case Wererats and Werebadgers have low atk and 1d6 damage. CRE files do not have any weapons for them, but animation has what seems to be Morningstar, plus CRE files have invisible special item, which is used to setup attack configuration of such creatures, who have weapon hard-coded into the animation. This item indicates 1d6 damage plus crushing type.

This is odd, as Wererats have Weapon Finesse feat and suppose to be using Rapier.

So if I do everything by the book damage reduction of 10 except silvered weapon would make these creatures as formidable challenge.

9. Sitra Achara

Never tried myself but why wouldn't it be?

10. anatoliy

It uses CMake, does not have vs project files. And no information on Internet how to open and debug in VS. It's not just for the sake of build.

I also would change source to include additional combat messages like missed attacks information and perhaps more detailed calculation of attack and damage.

11. Sitra Achara

Ah ok. Have you used cmake? In principle it should be able to generate a VS solution.

Edit: yeah there's detailed instructions even
    http://gemrb.org/MSVC-build.html

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    anatoliy likes this.
  12. Endarire

I started soloing IWD2 on the highest difficulty as a Drow Sor who relied on summons. The CR-based EXP made the game awkward and much less fun because being too low level made me too weak and being too high level gave me 0 EXP!

I quit about 1/2 to 1/3 through the game.

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Then its working as intended. Players should always have the option to solo, but games should never be specifically designed for it.

anatoliy likes this.
  14. Endarire

I understand IWD2's EXP system worked as intended since it's based on D&D 3.x rules, but I disliked how the unstable equilibrium worked in practice.

15. Sitra Achara

How to set up debugging in VS + CMake:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/configure-cmake-debugging-sessions?view=msvc-170

Also this ended up with doing some minor contributions to gemRB along the way :)

anatoliy likes this.
Our Host!