Announcement

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Jun 13, 2022.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hello folks,

I've always said that if I ever hit the point where I did not believe another update was coming, I would be upfront and tell people.

Well, unfortunately, due to RL commitments that I have struggled to get on top of for more than 6 months, I have hit that point. At this moment I do not reasonably foresee a period in my future when I will be able to concentrate on modding enought to get another update out there.

Obviously I am not posting this lightly. Nothing drastic is going on in my life - no-one died, no-one has cancer - but I just don't seem to have any time whatsoever to get modding done, and if I did, I would, quite frankly, use that time to focus on my academic interests which I have finally rediscovered my passion for.

I sincerely apologise to Sitra and Gaear who put in an enormous amount of work toward KotB 2.0.

For anyone who has never played KotB 1.0, play it! It works beginning to end.

I will still be around periodically if anyone has questions about this and that, but as per above, I do not believe I will be releasing any more modding updates.

Isewein, anatoliy and Buffed Rabbit like this.
  2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Sad to hear, but that's life.

Have you considered releasing what you have so far as an unfinished alpha? I think the die hards would enjoy it, warts and all.

Isewein, Kriegdoom and Buffed Rabbit like this.
  3. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

I know i would, the warts are the fun/frustrating parts :p:D

4. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

And releasing it with an obvious 'prerelease' tag on GitHub or such means that others could adopt it and continue/finish it if you let them.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, I didn't have any plans along those lines, because I prefer a working (and reasonably bug-free) 1.0 (1.1?) to be my legacy, not a buggy unfinished 'might have been'.

But, since you mention it, I can probably wrap up a release of the Caves material - your Orcs, BadSirBrian's artwork etc - with some of the bug-fixes as a patch. That should be doable. Of course, it runs the risk of including things that break other things, but its probably better than nothing.

But the alignment stuff for LE and LG (which was going to be the other major element of it) - I just don't see the point of doing those half-assed. And I have already released some half-assed, plot-lines-just-stop material in v 1.0, so I am not idealogically opposed, I just think it would be overall a negative.

Sitra Achara likes this.
  6. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

Thanks, Ted.

Your projects are always great and much appreciated.

Buffed Rabbit likes this.
  7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

This news saddens me but you have to take care of yourself first and foremost. I agree you should release what you have so far as an alpha or something, perhaps someone else will pick up the mantle and take on this project with a spin or two that might surprise you.

Thank you Ted, for everything you've done for this community, I and many others appreciate your efforts.

Gaear and Buffed Rabbit like this.
  8. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Thankee again you shining Ted of a man, you!

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Sad to hear, but yes, real life always takes priority. Best of luck whatever you decide with this project, and I hope to see you around otherwise!

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I vote for the stable legacy, fwiw. Let it be what it is, not what it might have been.

Our Host!