KotB Experiences - Casual Gamer/Huge D&D fan

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by kmark2323, Jan 4, 2022.

Remove all ads!
  1. kmark2323

kmark2323 Member

I just completed KotB with a NG party of 7, only took Korrac to get to the Kobold cave and Reynauld for the Onery fight of course, after that I tried to steer clear of other NPCs.

But first, when I saw this was an active and playable mod, my heart leaped a hundred foot tall building! This was the first 2nd edition module I played back in my youth (80's). Having completed ToEE in the past and messing with C08 mod, I was confident stepping into this game. Ready to power game and crush the foe. Then I realized this game is NOT about power-gaming. This is much closer to the PnP feel. Great job their fellas, I can't state enough how we can use more of the PnP game in CRPG. Being an original Infocom Games/Ultima/Wizardry/Gold Box guy, I feel most games are for power-gamers these days. I miss the days of Realms of Arkania for example. But this one..... well it took me back. I remember my Halfling Rogue slinging away at the Goblinoids, always far enough behind our Pally to steer clear of joining the dead. (He was a TN selfish little toad for sure.)

Anyhow, I plan to immediately replay this with a LE party. Should be a hoot and it seemed that I missed a lot of the content with my first go round of a goodie-two-shoes party. I have heard those make the argument that the PnP feel kills replayablity, but not when you design a game that has many consequences due to your decision making/choices. I will get several enjoyable playthroughs. Thank you Shiningted.

For the next party, I plan to have a Human LE Fighter with high Int and Cha to be my 'Speaker/Leader'. Anti-\Paladin type per se. Accompanied with an Eleven Ranger (Bow - Bounty Hunter type), a Cleric of Hextor, a Necromancer, an Illustionist/Rogue with Short Sword for Backstabbing-galore, a Half-Orc Druid with 20 Str and a Scythe for those huge Crits when needed against bigs like the Forrestal and his Bears encounter or the Dragon. That total six for th eparty. My question is, what evil NPCs are there that are worth taking? Are there any evil buddies that get me to the caves or am I stuck with Korrac to lead me there? Should I create a 7th party member from the get go?

Any feedback is much appreciated! Cheers!

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Glad you liked it! :) I tihnk you can't do LE atm, can only do NE for memory - anyway, the game will tell you. Definitely take the lesser NPCs along (Angela, Milo) - they come in useful. Evil NPCs include Robin and Mia the wemic, but they are not particularly fleshed out yet (Mia is more of an experiment, you may find her large size is a problem in the Caves).

3. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

This recent module review reminded me of the good work here:

Borderlands! D&D's Most played module ever

Our Host!