Icewind Dale 2 - so I wonder

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by anatoliy, Aug 24, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I'm in the middle of revising the event loop, will happily share (hopefully this weekend).

2. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

3. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

It's a waaaaay to soon to play whole game. I'd say it's only few percent done.

I created that for several reasons:
    1. In case if volunteer could want to help testing in some near future stage;
    2. In case if a dev wants to join development so he could use steps to setup environment.

You could download and run the game. In this stage (today) you will have first map with NPCs to whom ou could talk with speech and listen to sound effects. That's it.

4. Sitra Achara

Are you mixing up IWD and IWD2 projects?

5. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Yes, probably what I did.

6. anatoliy

Status update:
    • Refactored my producer app, as it grows and I had no clue how it will expand. That took several days.
    • Implementing scripting functions. There are 294 used in IWD2. I had to scan all scripts and dialogs to figure out all funcs and all possible values in arguments. I do not want to overdo.
    Funny thing about dialog with Hedron, the initial guy.
    He has annoying old woman of his ma, which has to be rescued, so he gives the quest.
    After the rescue, Player can talk to Hedron and ask for reward.

hedron_dialog_ma_resp1.jpg

Dialog options will differ on such conditions:
    • If PC is Paladin, no reward.
    • If PC is Monk, no reward.
    • If PC Charisma less than 12 then 73 gold.
    • If PC Charisma > 12 and < 16 then 123 gold and gem of 15 gp.
    • If PC Charisma > 15 then 173 gold and gem of 15 gp.
    Conclusions
    1. At this stage diplomacy skills are not measured in dialogs. But I saw that later in the game they are used.
    2. Protagonist in IWD2 documentation states, that it's synonym to Player1. But I implemented, that in dialog it should get PC who is talked to, not the first PC.
    Obviously in IWD2 Player should buff diplomacy for first PC only. And I'd say not to use Paladin)) But I'm not sure why Monks also do not take rewards...

7. anatoliy

Need some more races from IWD2:
    • Dwarf Grey
    • Gnome_Deep
    • Human_Aasimar
    • Human_Tiefling
    Also, I saw gold dwarf is in races dir. Can we create constant for him? (161)

Anyone? @_doug_ ?

8. Sitra Achara

All these races are already implemented, at least for PCs, as subraces. Doug did them at my request, in anticipation of IWD2 TC :)
    Note that grey dwarf = duergar, deep gnome = svirfneblin.

_doug_ and anatoliy like this.
  9. Sitra Achara

On that note. I don't know if it's a major problem for IWD2, but ToEE has a 5 response limit. I imagine some of the central dialogues may have to be broken up with "more..." nodes.

anatoliy likes this.
  10. Sitra Achara

anatoliy likes this.
  11. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

Not important at this time, but Pick Pockets is fairly common in IWD2. Did ToEE's PP get an overhaul in TempleX?

12. anatoliy

I haven't got to it yet. But I plan it to present, yes.
    It's impossible to do statically (via producer scripts), as most of response lines have conditions.

For example, on the picture above dialog with Hedron only few will be displayed. It would be nice to have a scroll bar in T+ though)) Otherwise it will have to be editor manually, which I fear the most.

Currently fighting with dialog switching:
    {530}{You?! Look, just get *back* to your ship, we don't need any more blood spilt th-}{You?! Look, just get *back* to your ship, we don't need any more blood spilt th-}{}{}{}{} # phrase: 10REIG 4
    {531}{Continue}{}{1}{}{0}{ctrl(npc).dialog_action(npc, pc, 8); cs().switch_dialog(pc, "Jon", 1)} # resp: 10REIG 11

Also hint how to display diplomacy skills - simply add # skill_diplomacy to test field:
    {263}{She's certainly got a tongue on her, no doubt.}{}{1}{ctrl(npc).dialog_test(npc, pc, 15)}{280}{ctrl(npc).dialog_action(npc, pc, 11)} # resp: 10HEDRON 57
    {264}{She's certainly got a tongue on her, no doubt.}{}{1}{ctrl(npc).dialog_test(npc, pc, 16)}{280}{ctrl(npc).dialog_action(npc, pc, 12)} # resp: 10HEDRON 58
    {265}{She's certainly got a tongue on her, no doubt.}{}{1}{ctrl(npc).dialog_test(npc, pc, 17)# skill_diplomacy}{280}{ctrl(npc).dialog_action(npc, pc, 13)} # resp: 10HEDRON 59

13. Sitra Achara

You could probably do some parsing to figure out which conditions are mutually exclusive. Not sure if it's worthwhile, though.
    I've looked into expanding the 5 response limit - unfortunately it's quite a lot of work, since the whole system uses (and assumes) a static size 5 array. But, it's definitely something I consider "on the list" :)

anatoliy likes this.
  14. Sitra Achara

In what sense?

15. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

Well, IIRC in 3E there's the PP chance, then there is the spot check against that PP roll.

But in ToEE it seems pretty random. I've run around with very high PP (spells, bonuses, etc) and you'll get caught by the lowliest of npcs. So I don't think ToEE is doing the spot check vs the skill...probably vs some set base number.

But FYI, IWD2 doesn't do it well either. I think IWD2 does PP skill vs Creature Level + intelligence . And PP is mostly impossible in the HOF mode...npc/monster levels are too high for that calculation to have any success.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
Our Host!