Modding Tutorials by Shiningted

Discussion in 'ToEE Toolset Project Documentation' started by krunch, Jun 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. krunch

krunch moving on in life

A new, second PDF is probably in order to handle this best.

2. NLB03

NLB03 Member

Is the Modding tutorial about how to build a new Mod that is included in the download with World Builder valid for use with the new Front End and 5.5? The reason I ask is because I was trying it out to try and figure out how I can contribute to this great project but ran into a huge issue. I got to the step where I was supposed to copy the tutorial I was working on and then activate the Front End to see my module pop up and make sure it is working.

When I did that step and activated the new Front End it found my module which is great. However, it errored out when I was trying to add the module and in the process it somehow ate the other two modules (original TOEE and 5.5). I use the repair Front End X program which did bring back both of the other modules however, all of my saves and characters were gone. I then used the restore save function and it restored the lost saves.
    So the repair Front End and restore Saves both work.

But, I am still stuck with the problem that apparently the tutorial no longer is valid based on the Front End X. Or did I somehow screw up the first 15 steps of the tutorial?

Thanks.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ahhhh... you're quite right, NLB03, we'll need some new documentation for new modules now in ToEEWB.

In the docs for TFE-X you'll find instructions on how to do it, though: basically you rename your data.new_mod and /modules/new_mod to 'data' and 'ToEE' like the existing one, and zip them up into an archive called 'new_mod.tfm'. But please read the docs with TFE-X and it should be straight-forward. Also, do all that renaming and zipping somewhere other than in your Atari folder, or you may have a bad day ;)

4. NLB03

NLB03 Member

Thanks for the info Ted. I will give that a try.

5. Sini

Sini Member

Out of curiosity is there anything you guys can't do?:love:
    I wish I've seen these tutorials 3 years ago in '05 when I had tons of free time to kill :cry:

6. Selufein

Selufein Elf Berserker

Pretty nice tutorial you've made there. Very well explained so far (I'm still only looking into part 4 of dialogs).
    Many thanks.

ps: only the link to download the TOEE World Builder v1.7.5 from the forum seems dead (on the forum, not on the pdf). I got the 2.0.5 from here:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2864.
    Not sure if it is the latest version.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Look soon here for my new updated PDF file release of ShiningTed's tutorials.

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Check it out. Come and get it.
    The PDF is updated, done and
    available in post # 2.

dated: September 1, 2011

9. Buffed Rabbit

Buffed Rabbit Established Member

Has anyone checked this recently? The last update was 11 years ago, hope everything works in win10. I have experience with c++, but nothing else, will I be able to do anything with it? I am a completely oblivious about modding.

Edit: Just checked it, lot's of the links do not work anymore :(

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  10. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

It depends what do you want to know @Buffed Rabbit. Pick one thing and ask. We will help you out.

Buffed Rabbit likes this.
  11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Here are my tutorials:

https://rpg-rant.blogspot.com/2005/11/tutorial-list.html

Re your silent question - haven't covered that. I should, but I can't do any new tutorials on Blogspot since they demanded a google account, which my original log-in is not connected to (my last tutorial was just on here).

And can't help you off the cuff because Allyx did all that! But you just need to hack a file like data/rules/item_creation.mes, you don't need to mess with Temple+ (99% sure).

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@Buffed Rabbit you don't need C++ or Temple+ even to add potions, scrolls, wands etc. I just used ProtoEd and Notepad when I did it.

Look in data/rules/protos.tab and data/mes/description.mes to start with, add your new item numbers and names to the correct sections in description.mes, and copy scrolls/wands/potions to the same numbered entries in protos.tab, change the item number in column 12-ish(?) to match, change the spell cast entry to that of the new spell for the item and save it.

Adding them to the craftable item lists is no more difficult, the files are in those same two folders - rules and mes. I can be more specific later if need be but poking around a bit you should be able to figure it out.

13. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I thought it was about time I had a go. I have added 4 of @Sagenlicht's Lesser Orb spells at 9486-9489 inclusive by copying down and modifying line 9485 in

description.mes
    proto.tab
    rules/item_creation.mes (including list of craftable scrolls)
    mes/item_creation_names.mes

Everything works perfectly save that all four spells are listed as "Scroll of ......" in the Scribe Scroll menu despite the fact that the scroll created is named correctly and the words "Scroll of Scroll of...." NEVER occurs!

Please, have you any idea where I might be blundering?

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@Pygmy I'm not exactly sure what you mean, are you saying that your scribed scroll has the name "Scroll of Scroll of Chromatic Orb" or something?

EDIT: If so, check in mes/item_creation_names.mes that your entries for your scrolls list just the "(spells name)" and not "Scroll of (spells name)".

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  15. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

No quite the opposite; all my new scrolls scribe correctly

The problem is related to the scribe scroll table (produced when you use the feat) itself wherein a scroll of Shield is listed as "Shield" but all my new spell scrolls are listed as "Scroll of ....." and are found at SC in the alphabet list.

I am still creating a scroll of Lesser Orb of Sound (as desired)

Thank you for your time and efforts

Our Host!