Windows 10 compatibility?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Nightcanon, Jun 1, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

I was wondering if anyone knew how upgrading to Windows 10 might affect ToEE: will a current installation, saves etc survive the process; if not will a fresh install work under Windows 10, and can current saves be transferred across?

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yes it should survive the upgrade, if for some reason it doesn't however (it worked for me), it is possible to backup your saves and characters files before reinstalling from scratch.

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Your saves are transferrable, though you may have to reinstall the game. Be aware though that you might not be able to play or experience movie flicker unless you also install Temple+.

4. DarkStar70

DarkStar70 Member

Can you guys lead me where there is some documentation on which versions of Temple plus and Co8 work in Windows 10. Also, any instructions on what computer modifications are needed to get them to work would be gratefully helpful.

Thank you in advance for the assist

5. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

I upgraded from 7 to 10 on a laptop, and saw no issues with an existing installation of an older ToEE/Temple+.

My configuration:
    • ToEE (gog version) installed to an alternate drive (not C drive). The temple + .ini and log files reside in c: users\savedgames\templeplus, though. The .ini tells where to find the base ToEE files. This is the temple+ installation default location for .ini.
    • I think that you can run temple+ from any directory as long as the base ToEE files are located where the .ini specifies. When I was testing newer Temple+ betas, I didn't overwrite the files and simply ran a new version of Temple+ in a different directory. They all look for the C: .ini for base ToEE game directory info.

All you need to do is install temple+ on an existing ToEE install. An existing temple+ should run fine. You may need to reset user permission (run as admin) in your security settings and virus program.

Also: existing saves. Each newer version of temple + adds new things to the game. Not all are specifically persisted. It may work, but there is no guarantee that older saves won't eventually crash, especially if you are quite far into the game.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  6. fangotangos

fangotangos Member

For my two cents worth, I am using a Windows 11 laptop. Seems to work all right so far. Sometimes when something gets hung up, I can do a restart of the laptop, and it seems to fix the problem, and my adventure gets to keep going.

The most often problem is when the party gets stuck somewhere and cannot go to any of the usual destinations.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  7. DarkStar70

DarkStar70 Member

Would you please provide some details of which destinations where the game gets stuck ? This may be something that Sitra and others would like to know since they are about to launch an update to the game. Thanks.

8. fangotangos

fangotangos Member

Every now and then, the game doesn't allow travel to practically everywhere, but does show all the places that you normally can travel to.

It happens mostly after getting in a fight somewhere in the wilderness.

I should mention that this does not happen very often.

I usually do a reset of my laptop, and when it finishes, the party gets to travel normally.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  9. ansver

ansver Member

Sounds like you're running into the bug discussed in this thread: Temple+ Bug List. Apparently it's already fixed in the upcoming version. If it's the same bug then the workaround is to keep traveling to your original destination after world map encounters.

Our Host!