Sagenlicht Beta: Draconic Feats and more

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sagenlicht, Nov 2, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. Joe Clark II

Joe Clark II Member

@Sagenlicht I noticed that Hail of Stones seems to be doing cold damage. I used it on some skeletons and they took no damage because they are immune to cold damage, per the damage log.

2. Sagenlicht

Sagenlicht Established Member

Code:
    damageType = D20DT_UNSPECIFIED #Damage is not specified in SC; should it be set to Blundgeoing or magic?
    I've actually marked this in my code, I've set the damage to unspecified as the Spell Compendium did not mention a damage type.

So this begs the question, to what should I switch the damage? D20DT_MAGIC would end up in damaging close to everything (which might be RAW), or the imo more logical D20DT_BLUDGEONING which might end up in running in some DR's (e.g. zombies)

3. Sagenlicht

4. Joe Clark II

Joe Clark II Member

@Sagenlicht I assume it should be bludgeoning damage like magic stone.

As for Evard's it is skipping the initial touch attack and going straight to attempting to establish the hold. I am assuming they did this because it is an area effect with no save. It is assuming at least one tentacle is touching you.

5. Sagenlicht

I agree, will switch it to blunt. Will be included in the next push :)

Ty Joe, for clearing this up to me.

6. Joe Clark II

Joe Clark II Member

Is there a reason the enemies often automatically confirm critical hits? I have had them confirm a critical with a result of AC 11 while my character had an AC of 28. It seems to happen fairly often.

7. Sagenlicht

You mean something like this?
    Crit Confirm Error.jpg
    If yes, I've already noticed this as well in my current runthrough. I am not sure why this is actually happening at the moment, but I assume it happens if the first roll was an auto hit (natural 20). This might be an error in d20_combat/to_hit_processing.py and if I can confirm this, then it's not a fault of the beta, but on my work to move the to_hit_processing from c++ to python.

I believe, in the same file I messed up the logging. Open up your logbook and take a look at your consecutive hits and misses. At least in my current playthrough the log tells me I never missed a hit... and oh boy I asure you I've missed alot. Again this would be not the fault of the beta but of my work on the to_hit_processing.py. Or at least this is what I assume at the moment.

anatoliy likes this.
  8. Joe Clark II

Joe Clark II Member

That is exactly what I am seeing. I assume if it is what you think it will get worked out eventually. It can be a little frustrating sometimes, but that is why they have the option to load a saved game. I had to reload my fight with the head priest at the temple because one of the ettins rolled a natural 20 on all 3 of its attacks against one of my guys, auto confirming crits......

anatoliy likes this.
  9. Sagenlicht

Ok, next push. This includes the Hail of Stone dmgType fix @Joe Clark II

So I added a Gapple_Action to the Beta. This is obviously the pre work for Evard's Black Tentacles. Here is what the Grapple Action should do:

1. Perform a touch attack
    2. If successful, try to grapple the target
    3. If successful establish the grapple

Consequences of the Grapple:

* You can't move
    * If you try to hit someone else than the one your grapple participant, get -4 on the attack
    * Lose your dex modifier to AC if attacker is not a grapple participant (yeah this allows sneak attacks)
    * Automatically fail spells if you try to cast a somatic spell, or a full round spell
    * Fail the spell if it is only verbal but you do not pass a concentration check DC 20 + spell level
    * You can't perform AoO's

Differences to PnP Grapple:
    * You are not limited to attack non-grapple participants with no weapons, natural weapons or light weapons, because I think this would break the game (the ai could not handle this I guess)
    * You can't make a grapple check to move you and the grappled participant
    * You can attack the other grapple participant with your normal weapons (same reason as no light limit reason)
    * You can't pin

How do I test it?
    Before you read any further to be sure to understand this:

DO NOT USE THIS IN A SAVE GAME YOU WANT TO USE LATER ON. BY LATER ON I MEAN OUTSIDE OF THIS BETA RUN. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING :)

I only did create the Python side of the grapple action, so atm you have to add it manually to the characters. Open up the DM Console and add the condition to the character:
    Add Grapple Action.jpg

Afterwards you can find the Grapple Action in the radial Menu Offense

Known Issues:
    * The initial touch attack does not trigger an AoO. This is wrong, but for testing purpose this is actually benefitting, as there is no improved grapple atm.
    * At the moment there is no EK_D20A_GRAPPLE and D20A_GRAPPLE crashes the game. Thus I needed to create a Python Action for the Grapple, which would not be needed, if the c++ side would support that action
    * There is no animation, there might be animations in the game that can be used but I do not understand the animation part at this point in time :(
    * You can't grapple while wild shaped, as obj.can_melee returns a 0 if you are wild shaped. This is a c++ bug I cannot fix myself.

If this gets approved, I happily add Improved Grapple and Fearsome Grapple to the Beta :)

Download Link: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/templeplus/templeplus/builds/42507598/artifacts

EDIT: Maybe a tester remark: The Grapple is automatically ended on combat_end.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    Joe Clark II and anatoliy like this.
  10. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

Good work @Sagenlicht !

1) When you would work on AOO during grapple touch attack keep in mind that large creatures or with reach would not have AOO against smaller ones if they are not threatening.
    2) There is feat_improved_grapple = 213. Consider Monks.
    3) Why no pin? Please consider that one! :)
    4) Please consider introducing Grapple Grab D20 action, and Grapple Hold D20 action. There is tactic "python action _num_" which allow this.
    5) Add query to know if grapple is going on. Not just "has spell condition".
    6) All these conditions should work without a spell.

11. Joe Clark II

Joe Clark II Member

Another feat to consider is the Close-Quarters Fighting feat. It allows an AoO regardless of improved grapple or improved grab. Any damage done with the AoO is added to the opposed grapple check. In PnP this is an amazing feat considering how many monsters rely on grappling opponents.

12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

About grappling via python: I'm not sure if this should be a python thing to be honest. I could be wrong though, it's just a gut feeling without looking into details.

I'm mainly mentioning this so that you don't get disappointed if I pull the rug from under all that work down the road...

anatoliy likes this.
  13. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

Still, this "Spike" sort of research would be beneficial.

But yes, we need "stat_grapple" for good implementation, meaning T+ improvements.

14. Sagenlicht

Yeah Sitra, I fully agree that parts of the Grapple Action should be in C++ not in Python.

In my opinion, I'd like to see conditions to be in python, that's why I did write the sp-grappled condition, as a pre work for the Tentacle spell.

And to test the condition, I simply added the radial and the grapple action, though I am fully aware that those shouldn't be in python, that's why I did write a CAPS LOCK warning in the post :)

It can be discussed, if the action itself might be part of the D20_combat project but that is entirely up to you.

In addition, there are some things I can't do myself easily, e.g the things @anatoliy mentioned or the animation.

So no worries, I am aware that some of the work I've done won't see the final daylight, but I hope the condition gets tested.

anatoliy likes this.
  15. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Sneak attacks don't appear to work with the lesser orb spells

Our Host!