Sagenlicht Beta: Draconic Feats and more

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sagenlicht, Nov 2, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sagenlicht

Sagenlicht Established Member

Ok, updated my Beta:
    Latest changes:
    • Added SpellPythonModifier class for standard spells
    • Added two PythonModifier classes for persistent AoE spells
    • Add Nauseated Condition
    • Added Cloud of Bewilderment from the non merged spells, so both the AoE classes and nauseated can be tested
    • Fixed Critical Stike (once again :( )
    • Added Panicked Effect to War Cry (uses sp-Fear as condition and uses T+ to drop weapons/shield on top) though first testing seem to end up in unresponding mobs after the fear effect wears off. Would need confirmations of this behavior please.
    Yeah, I should have done those three Python Classes a long time ago, I finally did them now. ToDO: Update wiki

anatoliy likes this.
  2. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

This post explains how 3.5 handles attacks from BAB and natural weapons.

What can you do with Python to add conditions to the engine beyond the normal limit considering the amount of content people are adding?

@Sitra Achara

anatoliy likes this.
  3. _doug_

_doug_ Established Member

Sorry about my overuse of conditions. I'll try to use them more judiciously in the future. Thanks for making the fix.

4. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I am afraid I have found an error with the entry requirements of Fist of the Forest:

if char_editor.stat_level_get(stat_attack_bonus ) < 4:
    return 0

If character BAB >= 1 stat_attack _bonus returns BAB + Strength/Finesse Bonus + size bonus etc as shown on character sheet.

I think you want to use something like:

if obj.get_base_attack_bonus() < 4:
    return 0

as per abjurant champion?

5. Sagenlicht

Thank you Pygmy for catching this! Fixed internally, will be included in the next beta push (will be next week, when kids holidays are over :) )

Pygmy likes this.
  6. Sagenlicht

Ok, new push. Latest changes:
    • Fixed Fist of the Forest BAB requirement (thanks Pygmy!)
    • Merged all Spell Compendium Item spells I've done so far into this Beta. Those are more in a beta state and subject to changes with the exception of Sonic Weapon and Dolorous Blow, which are pretty final.
    • Added Ironguts and Ray of Dizziness from the non merged spells to this beta. Both should be final.
    • Added new Feats:
      • Arcane Strike[Untested, see below!]
      • Shield Specialization
      • Shield Charge
      • Shield Ward
      • Active Shield Defense
      • Improved Shield Bash (placeholder!)
    Improved Shield Bash does nothing atm as there is no shield bashing in the game currently, but is a prereq for some shield feats like Shield Charge. There are a couple of options how to handle this:
    a) drop the prereq of ISB
    b) add an empty feat so it can function as a prereq
    c) change it to Shield Specialization

I did not want to do a) so I could either do b) or c) and decided to add an empty feat for now. If Shield Bash will never hapen for sure (which idk) it would make more sense maybe to change the prereq to Shield Spezialization.

Shield Ward and Active Shield Defense are currently beta, and more of a starting to point to see how I do get them to work.

Shield Charge is final and Shield Specialization looks good.

I actually forgot to remove Arcane Strike from the merge, so it slipped in by accident... There is a chance it is broken as I am not sure if I updated the partsys, and if I didn't it is broken due to missing particle effects. In addition its largely untested.

Link to the beta: https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/v1btqpov6vj35bt8/artifacts/TemplePlus-0.1.0-pre+3284.zip

7. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

@Sagenlicht
    I greatly dislike weak 'filler' abilities, and simply adding a feat that does nothing but act as a placeholder when feats are normally precious irks me. It's better to replace that feat with something else appropriate, like Shield Specialization, or remove the prerequisite. (Feat chains are generally too long in 3.x anyway.)

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Option D - add shield bashing :) The main problem will be the animation, if I remember previous attempts, but since Sitra showed how to change animations vis a vis the rapier, this may not be that difficult.

I actually agree with Endarire (sort of), an empty prerequisite feat would be the worst way of doing it.

9. Sagenlicht

I agree that a en empty feat is not a good thing. What's the reasoning behind it?

If I am 100% sure that Shield Bashing never happens, clearly replacing it with Shield Specialization is the best option.

But if it happens, I really would prefer to have ISB as a prereq for obvious reasons and I am afraid what would happen to existing save games if I add the prereq back in if SB is happening.

Now I never looked into this so far, but I don't think it's impossible to add Shield Bashing. In the end, SB is just a special two weapon attack, using a shield instead of a weapon.

Animation problems aside, I think the biggest problem is the shield itself. At least on the Python side it is impossible to tell, if the worn shield is light, heavy or a tower shield. Or I am not aware of it, how I could do it.

This leads to several problems, even existing ones. It totally bugs me, how the game handles Tower Shields atm. And yes it would be impossible to Shield Bash with Tower Shields.

I considered doing the Shield Sling feat as well, but I really do not want to add a feat that allows to throw a tower shield, and this would be the case right now. I would need to do a workout for that, to exclude the tower shield from being thrown (easiest way would be to check the ASF field I guess) but then the Tower Shield behaves different for a single feat, which is nothing I actually want to do as well.

So in the end, I'd really like to see SB in the game and and that's the reason why I added ISB in my Beta to keep save game integrity for the future. If SB ain't happening in a foreseeable future, I will change it to Shield Specialization. But I can't answer that question on my own.

10. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I don't plan on adding SB any time soon, so go ahead and replace the prereq.

11. Pygmy

Unless the Hero's Shield is reduced in size, I shouldn't worry about removing the Tower Shield from all the shield feats , e.g. Shield Specialization , from which it should be excluded.

12. Sagenlicht

Ok then, I switched the Shield Charge prereq to Shield Specialization

@Pygmy
    I would agree that Shield Specialization should not work with Tower Shields, but I do not want to start exluding Tower Shield per workaround rules for specific feats. This would be just a headache (or pita) in the long run.

Either Tower Shields are entirely redone (exluded from the Shield Proficiency Feat etc.) and then all Shield Feats can adopt to the reworked Tower Shields or they are simply shields and then are also included in the shield feats.

To my knowledge, Tower Shields do not apply a -2 to hit penalty in ToEE as well. (Correct me if I am wrong, I haven't used a Tower Shield for a loooong time in ToEE, which means my memory might be wrong here.)

13. Pygmy

Yes, you are right. I confess that a Gold Dwarf paladin with (wooden) tower shield is often the first character on my team sheet; dreadfully short of feats for Steadfast Determination and all those lovely new shield feats though.... Note in p&p D&D Durathor wouldn't be proficient in Tower Shield.

14. Pygmy

Sure Strike is listed in rules\spells as Sure Trike

Sagenlicht likes this.
  15. Sagenlicht

Thanks Pygmy! Fixed it

Todays Beta push contains changes to the Dragon Disciple Bonus Spells per Day handling, please be aware of that if you had tested it in your latest runthrough.

Pygmy likes this.
Our Host!