What Lies Beneath - can't finish

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by bignickel, Jan 6, 2022.

Remove all ads!
Tags:
  1. bignickel

bignickel Member

So, after interviewing the night steward with my 6 person party and scaring him silly, I got him to confess. Left the sewers, waited til morning, came back... and walked around forever. No day steward. Left and came back a few times. In desperation, left and talked to Uncle Gnome, blew a lot of money, came back to sewers... and there's the day steward. He found me quite charming.
    Ran into nutso, beat him up, then found the kids, who joined up, took them to surface, and they disappeared. Talked to Captain, told him I found the kids.
    Waited til night, went back down, found night steward, pickpocketed locket off him, forced him to join. Found nutso again, he attacked me, beat/slept him, forced him to join.
    Went back up to find Captain so and so: "I found the nutso" "did he kidnap the kids", "no, night steward did", "how do you know"....

"i'm leaving now"

I've got the locket, I've got all of the nutso's stuff, they're IN my party... but I can't turn the nutso over to anyone, and can't proceed to get rid of the night steward either (neither will talk to me). Any ideas?

2. bignickel

bignickel Member

Well, went back to an earlier save
    Talked to Day steward, charmed. done. Talked to night steward, feared, confessed, pickpocked pendant, done. Talked to nutso, who babbled on, fought him, slept him (contrary to the gnome, I find I can't TALK to this guy if he's asleep; who'd a thunk it?).
    Found the kids. Brought em topside, they took off. Done.
    Went back down to night steward; talked to him: all he does now is CONFESS again. Same exact lines; no option to bind. Talked to Captain: I found the kids, nutso didn't do it. how do you know, I'm leaving now. Went back to night steward: There's no option to 'bind him up' and put him in the party. Went to nutso; he just wants to fight, immediately. Can't talk to him at all in combat.
    Went back and charmed night steward. He followed me up, NOT in my party. he confessed 5 ft from the Captain. Captain has no lines anymore about my work on the kidnapping.

3. bignickel

bignickel Member

Back to the save after I had talked to the night steward; went forward from there, talked to nutso with my charima person, he decided to go to sleep himself, searched him, went off and got the kids, released them, went back 24 hours later: got night steward in my party after talking to him TWICE (the 2nd time I had a new dialog option). Nutso joined party. Brought them both to Captain, with all their stuff in my pockets of my charisma character. And again: he asked for me proof. "I'll be off"
    Nice one, party leader.
    I don't know. I thought I was supposed to pickpocket the necklace from night steward. But this dang quest won't end.
    I talk to the night steward but all he keeps saying is his confession about the kids. 5 ft away from the captain. Nutso and I don't have anything to say to each other.

4. bignickel

bignickel Member

Oh, and this is golden: checking my reputation: Fact Finder Extraordiaire: Rakham: You have discovered a 3rd piece of evidence implaicating Rakham in the kidnapping of hte Verbobonc children. effect: you have found sufficent evidence implicating Rakham in the kidnappings to make a case against him"
    A case of what? Scotch?

5. bignickel

bignickel Member

Here's the latest and greatest if anyone is able to make heads or tails of it. There's gotta be some variable flag that will allow Captain to take these 2 guys off my hands and end this quest properly.

Attached Files:

6. bignickel

bignickel Member

Well, what the hay: I went back to before I ran into nutso, and once again, he went to sleep. Couldn't talk to him.
    So then, for no reason I can think of, I 'used' the jewel I found on him: and for no reason I can think of, using the jewel suddenly meant I was speaking to him. He told me that night steward did it.
    I got the kids, brought up em, talked to the Captain... and he said I solved the whole case! I don't even have to go down and get night steward and nutso! I'm both a hawkshaw and a paranoid schizo in rep.
    Well, there you go, I guess. Use jewels to talk to nutso's. And the case ,it is solv-ed.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Glad you figured that out, and thanks for posting that, hopefully it helps the next person :)

Our Host!