Kelno's Bugbears

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by bignickel, Dec 17, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. bignickel

bignickel Member

So, after taking out the Earth Temple and wandering down to the 2nd level, I ran into Kelno, and felt sorry for the poor slob. So I thought: well, just as a special thing, why not recruit him some bugbears from Water Temple?

So, seeing from a gamebanshee.com walkthrough which room the bugbears were in, I went there to find it... empty. The only room that seemed to have any bugbears was the Water Temple cleric room itself. So, in there was the bugbear chief, so I asked with my high charisma sorcerer about recruiting... he hesitated and declared his loyalty to Water. No option for 500 gp. So I tried a reload and my highest Bluff character same. Reload, and Eagles Splendor on my Sorc. Same.

Any way to recruit this guy? Or there some other chief in some other room?

2. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

checked the dialog:

it's an intimidate check of 12+. You can also give him money, but you need a minimum of diplomacy 13 and 500 gp on your character for that to be an option.

3. bignickel

bignickel Member

Wow. Yeah, not worth my time with this sad sack; better to just end the evil Airbenders.
    Thanks for the reply.

4. OccasionallyGood

OccasionallyGood Member

This means they're 'regrouped' because you did something that caused them to become 'regrouped' (e.g. killed Romag).
    I think in this case no matter what your skills are, you can't recruit those bugbears for Air Temple. So after talking to that bugbear leader and then talking back to Kelno he accepts this, cancels the quest and gives you a different one.

5. bignickel

bignickel Member

Yeah, I did think his answer made a lot of sense with the Water Temple High Priest just 10 feet away from him. "why, of COURSE NOT, I LOVE THE WATER TEMPLE!"

Our Host!