Temple+ Modding Question

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by _doug_, Feb 21, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. August

August Established Member

That's great, Pygmy! I was just thinking of that feat.

I'm a little intimidated to redo bardic music as my first project. First I'm going to try to make a few spells and feats and try to get comfortable with how this all works.

2. Sagenlicht

Sagenlicht Established Member

EDIT: Nevermind, found my brain afk error.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  3. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

For anyone else with a bugbear obsession, I have made a (slightly hacky) modification to Improved_toughness.py so as to give bugbear characters the benefit of their racial hit dice when determining bonus hit points: (Attached below). I don't propose to do the same for trolls and giants as I don't consider them to be even vaguely serious pc races.

In the same theme, I have modified @Sitra Achara's bugbear.py file so that bugbear characters gain the benefit of variable constitution bonuses to their three racial hit dice: (Also attached below)

IF ANYONE TOOK improved_toughness.py from this post before date of last edit, please replace it corrected version attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    August likes this.
  4. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

Iirc, monsters as races are a bit more complicated than straight ecl. (Hopefully I'm thinking straight on this...)

They also have an effective character level for xp, which counts both the HD and the ecl for the purpose of experience points gained from enemy Challenge ratings. Class ecl is used to solely determine the amount of xp needed for the next class level.

So a Bugbear should be seeing a significant loss of xp gain from being 4 levels (ECL) above a typical party. ie, starts at an ECL of 5. And it would have +1 ecl for calculating the next level of the class.

Is this calculation in ToEE?

5. Pygmy

Yes a 1st level rogue bugbear has an ECL of 5 but 0 xps so needs 15000 xps to become a 2nd level rogue

August likes this.
  6. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

I suppose that is simpler math. I had thought 2nd level would be 3000 xp (1 class ecl for bugbear), but xp would come more slowly at +5 monster xp ecl. (3hd +1ecl +1st level). That might be slightly more overall cost, but it probably is close enough.

But I guess my question was answered that ToEE does account for the HD and xp. I couldn't remember if the dominated monsters were seeing that (ogres, bugbears, etc).

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    August likes this.
  7. Pygmy

Dominated monsters are completely different, they are governed by ToEE rules; whereas monster pcs are governed by Temple+ (Sorry if I misunderstood you). As far as I can remember from the last time I bothered to dominate anything without class levels (e.g. an owlbear), they are sitting with sufficient xps for Lvl 20 which is doing nothing.

I don't think the ECL system is particularly harsh as the bugbear is getting Level 5 abilities on credit and should think itself lucky it isn't charged interest.

8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Just a heads up that I haven't had much time this week and probably won't have much this weekend either, so sorry if it looks like I'm ignoring anyone...

August likes this.
  9. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

try playing a troll or Hillgiant:eek:

August likes this.
  10. August

So I've been trying to make the duskblade. I figure it's perfect practice for redoing bardic magic (on the back end I figure Arcane Attunement will work the same way but it calls cantrips), and I wanted to remake my old 3.5 character with it anyways. Things are going well so far, but I'm basically reverse engineering my knowledge from reading recent threads and wandering the Temple+ Git, so I'm in the dark about a lot of variables and such.

Quick Cast I'm basing off of Sudden Quicken, and that made it was pretty easy to set up most of it, but I'm at a loss on what to query to check if the spell is a standard action or lower.

What should I do to this?
    spEntry = tpdp.SpellEntry(evt_obj.spell_enum)
    if spEntry.[casting time] != ([standard action] or [move action, I guess])
    return 0

Also, how do I make it a swift action? I figure there must be a quick way to just expend the action out of using the ability and I just haven't figured it out yet.

Ho boy, this is a lot, but it's fun!

Also, I think I'm gonna need help figuring out the best way to do the learned spells - for now I've assumed optimal choices and set up a spells known table with +1 to known spells at highest level possible, but really it's the proto-form of 5e Eldritch Knight where you pick one spell of *up to* the highest you can cast to add to the list, so I'm considering different ways of doing this.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  11. Sitra Achara

Use stat_level_get(stat_race) to obtain the "main" race and stat_level_get(stat_subrace) to obtain the sub-race.
    I've also made a wiki page with some explanations, this will hopefully answer the common questions (feel free to ask for clarifications):
    https://github.com/GrognardsFromHell/TemplePlus/wiki/Python-Races

Pygmy likes this.
  12. Sitra Achara

Quick cast: check out rapid metamegaic

https://github.com/GrognardsFromHel...pgamefiles/scr/tpModifiers/rapid_metamagic.py

Learned spells- que?

Also it's kinda hard to keep track of things in this thread, so remind me if I've missed anything.

13. Pygmy

Please Is subrace_svirfneblin as in if attachee.stat_base_get(stat_subrace) == subrace_svirfneblin: not defined?
    if attachee.stat_base_get(stat_race) != race_gnome: works.

14. August

Oh, they learn spells a little differently than many other classes, it's basically comparable to how an eldritch knight in 5e learns them. They learn one spell per level, and that spell can be of any level they can cast. I think I'm going to just beat Advanced Learning into the right shape with a metaphorical hammer.

15. Pygmy

Thank you. I now have a fully working Titan Fighting Feat which excludes Svirfneblin. Please find attached relevant files. Please note that Titan Fighting and Improved Toughness are fighter bonus feats so I have also attached class011_fighter.py

Attached Files:

Our Host!