Circle of Eight Modpack v8 Final General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pygmy, Sep 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

For me, that's exactly what Desperate Housewives was for - to test every limit and every requirement for a new module. And in a lot of cases, there was no solution yet and Agetian (or Ug, or Spellslinger etc) had to create the solution to make it all happen.
    Ag was always appreciative but tight-lipped about help from Troika people, for obvious reasons. I certainly never directly dealt with them, although at least one issue I had was addressed by an ex-dev through the grapevine. Good to see you Dhoom :)

2. lazynomore52

lazynomore52 Member

Hi, just curious but do I must have to install Java to install Co8?

Thank you.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yes, Java is required to make the TFE-X front-end program run, and this is required to activate the modpack module, and to use add-on packs and portrait packs etc...

4. Isewein

Isewein Established Member

A few minor issues I've encountered in the post-game NC section so far:

-I didn't have enough money when I first asked the gnome in the rabbit hole how to kill the Gremlich, then upon my return the option to do so didn't appear again.
    -Darlia's dlg doesn't account for the specific instance of having killed Lodriss (rep 21) but not being an initiate of the assassins guild (rep 24). You should still be able to bluff your way in, at least, but that option is locked out.
    -The Hulking Corpse with Blood Amniotes in Moathouse Respawn didn't turn hostile on its own nor initiated any dialogue. When I started combat, the Amniotes turned on each other rather than fight me.
    -I understand the Hextor Priests in Monster Mash are supposed to summon Outsiders galore, but didn't summon anything in my fight with them; in fact they didn't appear to take any discernible action at all in the log.
    -Drow enemies constantly fail their spells due to armour, maybe consider giving them the Twilight property now that Temple+ made it available?
    -The word Flanaess is consistently misspelt as "Flaeness".

-This is more of a suggestion, really, but it would be great if a (Chaotic) Good party could bluff Darlia into believing that they killed the merchant in Nulb ("Robbery at the Hostel") if they present him with his diamond. There are so few opportunities for stealthy characters to shine in this game, and this seemed one instance where sneaking past the bodyguards and pickpocketing the diamond should really be an alternative to violence.

-The children in the Slavers fight really should not turn hostile under any circumstances. Sure, it makes the fight more difficult, but it's a pure contrived engine limitation since you cannot end the fight without murdering those who turned red due to a summoned creature's web spell, for example. If them turning hostile is supposed to represent the mind control of the sorceress, at least let us use Dispel Magic to pacify them.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  5. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

Are you using the latest temple+ patch? I think these 2 issues were addressed lately.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  6. Isewein

I'm using the latest build, not the current beta.

7. Shiningted

Well I've got them on the list to be addressed as a Co8 fix (you can see it here, slowly getting through it but then it keeps growing). You two feature prominently :)

anatoliy likes this.
  8. Isewein

Good to know it's still being worked on.

I also ran into a weird situation with the Slavers - after a long, rather one-sided conversation with the sadistic sorceress, I wait for their cleric to cast their buffs, then the conversation resumes, she announces that one of my party is going to die. Then the dialogue aborts and all just stand there. I can initiate hostilities just fine, but I presume this is not how the encounter is intended to go?

9. Shiningted

I'm gonna say no. Did you keep the rest of the party at a distance and just trigger with one PC? That might cause problems... but then, I'm sure people do it that way.

10. Isewein

No actually, the whole party ran up quite close. It's reproducible from this save if you try to let the conversation play out to its end. Running Temple+ and the Domain Spells Add-On alongside it.

I don't really mind the bug, it actually seems to have spared me a rough fight, but maybe it can be fixed for future generations. ;) Although I must say I wouldn't have minded to have the odds stacked against me a bit in that fight. It seems to mostly come down to initiative otherwise. If their priest gets to hit us with Blasphemy, that spells serious trouble, but if my casters get to go first their lack of spell resistance and mediocre will saves make him an easy target for Disintegrate and the sorceress for Feeblemind.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  11. Shiningted

Ok, I can't get this save (or any of my saves) working atm - doubtless a comment on my set-up and not Temple+ - but I will try to test this scenario in the Co8 mod in the near future to check if it is a problem at our end, so to speak.

12. JDR13

JDR13 Member

Not a bug, but am I the only one who thinks Haste is OP? Being able to target one person per level and the duration being 1 round per level sort of makes it ridiculous imo. I think the regular Haste spell should only be able to target 1 person, and then there could be a Greater Haste spell that targets multiple people. I believe that's how it worked in the IE games for example, although I realize that was a different ruleset.

Also, does Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound work correctly now? I wanted to take that spell, but I read somewhere that it was crazy OP.

Isewein likes this.
  13. hammyh

Well....imho using 3.5 rules completely changes the dynamics of this module. Not much more to be said there.

You can certainly impose self-restrictions, though, in order to increase the challenge.

14. Isewein

Yeah, same here. I started to only allow myself use of haste once I had reloaded on a battle once without it. Single target haste from the boots is fine, but the spell is definitely OP.

15. hammyh

Even though it may not be core 3.5, I was thinking that haste could be coded to cause fatigue in ToEE.

I remember in IWD and BG that haste was reserved for critical moments because the resulting fatigue after was such a pain.

Our Host!