Romag hates NPC's *SPOILER*

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Scorched_Earth, Jul 6, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

I cleared the 1st level of the temple, completing the first two Romag quests so now I can run around the temple naked without being attacked. So then I wonder if I can take out the two groups of gnolls and ogres near the south of the map without pissing Romag off. I took my party down there, killed the ogre chief and his crew along with the guys across in the other room (saved beforehand), then took my lead character up to Romag to see if he found out, and nope...seems he didn't notice. So after looting the bodies, I take the rest of my party up to Romag and instantly get attacked! So I have no idea whats going on and figure someone in my party must be ratting me out. I take each member, one by one up to Romag, and my 5 PC's come clean...but as soon as I take up an NPC (Meleny for example), the entire group of soldiers attack my party. Anyone have this happen before? Or have any idea whats going on? It seems I can still complete the rest of the temple quests as long as I don't bring in an NPC.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hmmmmm... u know, I remember having this from the dim distant past.... everyone wearing brown robes, wander in happily, the moment Meleny comes into view, bam the fight starts. :shrug:

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Fighting over the hot chick again...

4. Shiningted

Meleny and Romag were fighting over me :evil_laug

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

So Ted, are you a bit like Lareth...

6. Scorched_Earth

Actually, since I mentioned the 1st level of the temple, another strange thing happened...I'm not sure if it's happened to anyone else. I think there are what, 2 magically sealed doors in this level? Anyways, I took my party and tried to go through the one of the doors (the one in the cave room with the earth temple altar) and out of my 8 party members, 4 were able to go through, the other 4 were "magically held". I have no idea why and I tried to look for some sort of criteria as to which were allowed through, but I found no pattern( class level, alignment, race, PC or NPC...). There seemed to be no reason why half my members couldnt go it. I walked my party back and fourth in and out, and always the same result. So then I saved the game at that spot and loaded it again the next day...and this time the half that were in the sealed room..couldnt get out! So I had half my party stuck inside this room and the other out. I got'em out eventually by taking one member and leaving the temple...but..is there any point to these doors? And is it possible to permanently open them?

7. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

No, there's no point to them (unless Liv or somebody has added something on the other side, which might be fun). The designers probably had intentions for them, but ran out of time, like seems to have happened with just about all of the final level.

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

For some reason npc's will trigger certain events, like in the moathouse if Elmo or Fruella are first at the entrance to the guards room. The top left spot in the formation should be a pc and only a pc can be the first person thru a blue door or stairs. The general intent/purpose for npc,s is for support/back-up, not your lead player. I guess it's just hardcoded into the game.

9. Orrin Oakenshield

Orrin Oakenshield Member

Hi,
    The 'phasing feat' was something I asked about way back in October.

"And I remember something about walking through locked doors ...Once again, suspected bug. Don't know if it got confirmed." -Moebius2778 Oct. 10, 2004

This problem was pushed aside as the thread went off on one of the other bugs I mentioned.

Like Scorched Earth, it still happens to me frequently, ( with or without an npc in the group) so I would be interested to see if anyone has an explanation? Or even found a solution?

This ol' dwarf has to knock some cobwebs down now...(9 months.. sheesh!)

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

The only doors that never open by any means magical or mundane are the huge bronze doors. In the T1-4 module, they have antipathy cast upon them, with a very powerful dwoemer (save at -2). Failure means the affected person cannot approach closer than 10', and cannot bear to look upon the runes inscribed upon them. Only 20+ strength has a chance to break the doors open; or a special means known only to Zuggtmoy that has to do with the PC's and greed...and some magical pillars of precious metal.

In this game, there is no hope of opening the doors. But Zuggy can still be freed by greed...

Also, I've been in several situations like you describe, but with no NPC's whatsoever; it often seems that I have to initiate combat myself after walking right up to people without robes of any type...

Attached Files:

• fd2.jpg
      fd2.jpg
      File size:
      57.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  11. Zan11dar

Zan11dar Member

This may not be exactly a similar example, but I was down on the 4th level going
    into the room with the 2 concubines. I had a cleric/fighter lg and 3 followers.
    Zaxis, Spugnoir, and the Troll Chief Oolgrist. We all walked into the room and
    it instantly went into combat mode. I had just saved, so I reloaded and walked
    in with just my C/F and everything was cool. I could talk to either one and
    neither attacked me. What's up?

12. Scorched_Earth

No idea, but theres definitely something up with the NPC's. That's moreorless what happened to me. By the way, did anyone notice that when female bugbears are standing there doing nothing they tend to *adjust* their breasts. I didn't realize until i went to pick one of their pockets...I started laughing so hard I accidently stopped hiding and had to take her down...oh well..

13. Orrin Oakenshield

Orrin Oakenshield Member

I thought they were checking to make sure 'concealed weapons' were in place.
    Maybe this ol' dwarf IS getting old...:(

14. Shiningted

That's funny.

Also had the issue with the concubines here.

What can I say, I walked in, they took one look at me and jumped on me :cool:

They werew a bit rough though :errf:

15. Orrin Oakenshield

Orrin Oakenshield Member

This ol' don't need the details... wonder how cold that waterfall is...

Our Host!