Tweaking reactive temples

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by hammyh, Sep 11, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

I haven't delved into the override issue. But I have experimented a bit more with simply decompressing a current dat, changing a file, compressing, overwriting.

I know you've got a lot on the plate, so there is no urgency. But I've stuck print statements into the san_new_map script, specifically at certain maps...and nothing happens.

Are you certain that there is not a fixed instance attached to the player, that is recreated when loading an existing game?

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Yes.

My guesses as to what could go wrong:
    * Using a wrong relative path - e.g. using /data/ in your path.
    * Repacking it wrong - again relative path stuff.
    * Replacing the wrong dat - e.g. if you're using the dev builds, you should replace the file in the tmp folder, not the 1.0.84 files.

About overrides - just to be sure, have you tried rebooting? Maybe it's some silly OS level thing that prevents file access.

3. hammyh

I'm not using the typical c:\path (C:\Users\<YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME>\AppData\Local\TemplePlus\<app-1.x.xx>\tpdata\, etc)

I run the dev builds from a different drive, each with its own directory but reference the same save path. So I don't have a temp folder for the devs. And although there is an older version on the C: drive, it's 1.084.

It's possibly related to a path issue, then. On my side. I might try moving one of the dev builds to the expected path or editing the files there, to see what happens.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  4. hammyh

Turns out this solves the file edit problems :oops:

Now to figure out the overrides thing....

5. hammyh

Registering override folder [any name, with the file mod_specs.json inside the folder]
    Unable to add archive .: 1

The override issue is beyond me.

I suppose for now the convenience of that folder can be missed. I've managed to effectively edit and change a number of things in various .dat files, so it does not seem to be related to disk read or write problems. I've tried rebooting, disabling virus, changing directory read/write permissions, moving to the expected directory, using .dat file folder instead of the normal folder in the override, etc etc.

I had a read of TioPack.cpp (templefileformats/tiopack)...but there are many conditions during the operation that could return a this result of 1.

However, the temporary fun stuff was successful = playing around with Alrrem's reactive (adding ogre cave bunch to fire temple faction in the alcove, moving Alrrem into the actual fire temple for a tougher overall reactive fight with the Salamanders,etc). So it wasn't a total loss.

And now back to testing the betas...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  6. hammyh

Perhaps this info could add clues to the override: I also have consistently seen the following similar error in the log file:

[2021-09-22 12:14:35.153] [core] [info] Registering archive unins000.dat
    [2021-09-22 12:14:35.153] [core] [error] Unable to add archive unins000.dat: 1
    [2021-09-22 12:14:35.153] [core] [info] Registering archive unins001.dat
    [2021-09-22 12:14:35.154] [core] [error] Unable to add archive unins001.dat: 1

7. Sitra Achara

Well, those are just unrelated dat files (generated by installer wizards) that the engine mistakes for ToEE archives.
    I don't think they affect anything, but who knows, maybe try moving them to another folder and see what happens.

8. Sitra Achara

BTW, another thing you can try: in templeplus.ini, you can specify tioAdditionalPath or something like that - the folder you specify there will behave like the old overrides folder.

9. hammyh

An interesting development:
    I tried a number of specific paths @ additionalTioPaths= (base override, exact folder, etc.) to no avail

However since temple plus tries to read the uninstall .dat file, I also tried placing an overrides folder in the base ToEE directory (ie, Temple of Elemental Evil/overrides/[folder_name]...

And it now correctly loads that override sub-folder and displays it in the menu screen.

==> It appears that it expects the override folder to be in the base ToEE directory, not the beta directory.

And I suppose that the instructions on the Wiki allude to that. I misunderstood it to be an existing overrides folder somewhere.

So I never tried to create a new one in the base ToEE. (I've never had an overrides at the base directory since ToEE was installed)

My bad. Thank you for your patience.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  10. Sitra Achara

Err, where did you get the idea that it should be the beta/templeplus dir? The examples in the wiki specifically say ToEE dir/overrides...

11. hammyh

I've never had a base overrides folder (or any previous mods). As I mentioned, I assumed it would be in an existing overrides somewhere.

For dummies like me, the wiki could mention to create a base overrides folder.

And I assumed that as much as possible would be moved over to the beta folders. I need to learn how to read very carefully. *sigh*

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  12. Sitra Achara

Don't be too hard on yourself, we all have our gaffes :)

Also Temple+ is supposed to create the overrides folder by itself (there's a mkdir() in the code), but I guess it creates it in the wrong place.

Oh and you're right that the instructions are a bit confusing - I just lazily changed it from "create an overrides folder" to "create a subfolder within the overrides folder" to go along with the recent change in how it behaves. Will improve that.

Our Host!