Icewind Dale 2 - so I wonder

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by anatoliy, Aug 24, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

Hi

Recently decided to try out IWD2, which I played last time like in 2002.

First impression is - very heavy combat oriented game, which I like. Lot's of role playing quests at the beginning. Quite difficult even on normal (although I play with 4 chars only). Real time annoys me incredibly though.

So I wonder - is it possible and doable to port IWD2 to ToEE\Temple+?

[​IMG]

Let's consider first map - it has roughly same isometric camera angle (info from @Allyx ), tiles could be edited manually.

Then I found Infinity Explorer sources, which is built on Delphi 7. I compiled it - works fine.

upload_2021-8-24_14-24-25.png

It means that some steps could be automated:
    • Generate NPC stats
    • NPC equipment
    • NPC dialogs
    • NPC voices
    • Map music
    • etc

So what do you think guys?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

If your asking if you can help out with our current efforts to finish IWD 1, the answer is yes :)

anatoliy likes this.
  3. anatoliy

:D

I didn't want to step on anyone's toes))

The problem I see with IWD1 is that it is not 3.5 or even 3.0 edition rules. It requires balancing and playthroughs. But sure I can assist. Please either PM or create new thread like "Icewind Dale automation" where requirements would be specified.

From what I understand IWD1 ToEE is using design time NPC creation, and I'm using run time NPC spawn via Python in zmod. Also I need to review how you do things guys...

Let's not continue IWD1 project in this thread :)

Shiningted likes this.
  4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Gah, you read it before I could edit it - I am totally ignorant as to what sort of Infinity engine does what. Do you think you could automate stats, equipment etc for IWD 1? That would doubtless be a great help. (I did a rudimentary dialogue converter that should work in at least some other Infinity engine games).

EDIT Ahh dammit now you have answered while I was typing! Ok, taken under advisement, and thanks for the offer. We'll be in touch :D

anatoliy likes this.
  5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I called on IWD2 in 2016, so back off :p

Joking aside, I always thought these IE conversions should be automated (partially at least), so that is welcome of course. With Temple+ it will probably worth it to just port parts of the IE engine rather than convert to ToEE format (using e.g. gemRB as reference). Even if it's not perfect, it will eventually save a lot of effort in converting the other modules.

Another thought - would it ultimately be easier to convert toee into 2nd ed dnd than convert the mobs to 3rd ed? I know a lot of people would appreciate that, forToEE itself even.

6. anatoliy

Yeah, @Allyx mentioned something about it. I was curious how would you react))

Let's say it is done. But modders want to modify it, how would it work out then? Moreover AD&D is very different. Nice idea though.

I would say it is job for years...

Sincerely, @Sitra Achara - I think it would be easier to auto convert it to some point...

7. anatoliy

Btw, Icewind Dale 1 non enhanced was pulled out from GOG. I had to find hacked incomplete and Russian editions to have normal files.

8. anatoliy

Another point is that beam dog could be very aggressive regarding copyright of IWD2...

9. anatoliy

IWD 1:
    • 173 maps
    • 216 dialogs
    • 943 creatures

IWD 2:
    • 115 maps
    • 395 dialogs
    • 1622 creatures

10. anatoliy

Mapping and tiling

upload_2021-8-24_17-38-4.png

IE has this "Search map" bitmap, which defines passible areas and other properties.

It would be nice if someone would create tool to convert map.bmp and search.bmp to ToEE format:
    • splitted background tiles 256x256;
    • sector files;

11. Sitra Achara

This is another point in favor of automating or directly loading the original assets... that way you don't have to distribute them.
    But ultimately not a really big deal - I mean the IWD TC demo has been out for about 4 years now, so it's reasonable to assume they don't care.

anatoliy likes this.
  12. Sitra Achara

Realistically, I won't seriously get around to it for at least 2 years, so if you want to, feel free.

Eh?

Why, though? Isn't 2nd ed simpler in general? There are no feats at all, for example.
    You could also half breed it, with how stat bonuses, xp tables and multiclass work for example - that's a huge impact and relatively easy to do. And thac0 is just display ;)

13. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

BeamDog had years to make Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition and chose not to.

Remember, we're dealing with old games here. They've been loved by the community but they haven't gotten the mainstream popularity like many console games have such as Mega Man, Mario, Mortal Kombat, and Grand Theft Auto. That means fewer people would object.

anatoliy likes this.
  14. Kriegdoom

Kriegdoom Member

my understanding is the source code for IWD2 was lost.

I tried to replay IWD2, but the real time combat ... the horror ... not up to C08 standards at all. Also, buggy.

anatoliy likes this.
  15. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

anatoliy likes this.
Our Host!