First replay in 15+ years. Some questions.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by JDR13, Aug 9, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Does your wizard have access to the spell haste? If yes, choose craft magical arms and armour for weapons of speed for all at level 7
    Does your wizard know Foxes Cunning and Cat's Grace? If not Craft Wondrous Item is wasted so choose craft magical arms and armour.

Clerics have automatic access to four attribute enhancing spells and therefore can make wonderous items enhancing those 4 attributes. Clerics are the default recipients of Craft Wondrous Item

2. JDR13

JDR13 Member

I don't have Haste, but I know where the scroll is sold, so getting it won't be a problem. I'll just purchase and copy it. What does adding speed to a weapon do? Extra attacks?

3. JDR13

JDR13 Member

The spell Vampiric Touch doesn't seem to work correctly. It does the damage it's supposed to, but my wizard isn't getting the temporary hitpoints added to his own. Is this a known bug?

4. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Yes, but it was one of many bugfixes/improvements made in Temple+. Have you seen reference to this or Temple plus (the same) on the site anywhere? I am sorry weapons of speed are part of Temple plus Temple+ mod - Mod DB, you will need to play ToEE via Temple+ in order to enjoy the extra attack per round that weapons of speed give.

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

He is using Temple+ though...
    I also did fix vampiric touch (one of the first things I did actually), so that's strange. Maybe something got overwritten, I'll look into it.

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Seem to work fine on my end.
    Note that the HP gets added as temp HP, which is separate from your regular HP.

If that's not getting added, please send me a save file that demonstrates the problem.

Attached Files:

7. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Arms & Armor on the cleric would be a usual choice if they have the right domain (good or law) to craft either holy or axiomatic weapons. They're pretty good for wondrous items too, though, just because they know every spell on their list. No list has the prerequisites for every wondrous item, though.

8. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

I normally give my casters Wondrous AND Arms & Armor because the feats are just that great.

Remember, a Wizard10 gets a bonus feat (crafting or metamagic), meaning he can each of them. Clerics with Arms & Armor are primarily to make Axiomatic (Lawful) and Holy (Good) weapons that give +2 accuracy and +2d6+2 damage to the opposite alignment per hit.

9. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Holy etc. only has the 2d6 damage effect (and overcomes certain damage reduction). The +2 is the cost of the enchantment. Adding holy costs the same as adding an additional +2 to the weapon, and the total enhancement-equivalent effects on a weapon can't be more than +10.

10. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Both feats for both flavors of caster helps you spread the XP cost around.

11. JDR13

JDR13 Member

My bad. I was confused by it not displaying a numerical value somewhere. I understand how it works now. Thanks.

12. Endarire

Agreed to the notion of spreading EXP costs!

13. Erhog

Erhog Member

But why? Additional attack from hasted weapon aren't stacking with additional attack from a haste and lacks bonus to attack and AC from spell plus it takes enchantment slot on a weapon and costs pretty high in exp/gold at 7-8th levels. Wouldn't be better save this enchantment slot for a frost or holy(most enemies got weakness to this types) damage instead?

14. Endarire

Knowing haste is great to be able to cast haste. The Speed weapon mod is generally meh for its price.

15. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

I'd say it is more a convenience/playstyle thing. I rarely used crafting, but when I did - I did not use the speed option for this reason and I had a weapons goal in mind only for the final gods battle. My crafting was minimized until late game.

But if you typically had only 1 -3 party members that made good use of your haste spell or had limited casts (ofc there are wands....), then I could see giving them a haste QoL weapon. Or maybe you want to slot something else instead of the haste spell for a different playstyle. It would also allow you to rest less frequently - if you like that sort of challenge and dislike casting haste most encounters.

Ultimately, there is so much money and at a certain point xp is flowing in..and this allows for some "throw-away" crafting. The xp/expenses grow significantly with each additional enhancement after the first, which is to say that one enhancement may actually not be that costly. Only when you start putting a lot of enhancements on each weapon do you see heavy waste. (Also keep this in mind if you do decide to spread the costs across multiple crafters = the order in which the enhancements are applied will determine the xp cost to the individual crafter.)

Enhanced weapons can trivialize many early encounters. I can't remember if there is any useful craft that needs level 8-9 other than enhancement - which is the typical max level for the temple. +1 enhancement is not going to make or break you. Keen and enhancement can come from wands/spells for much cheaper.

Note, that because of the way challenge rating xp works in ToEE, it is not necessarily a disadvantage to have your crafter a couple levels behind the team. If your entire focus is on crafting, they will get significantly more xp each battle, which in turn allows for more extra xp crafting.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
Our Host!