Temple+ Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Legion, Jul 28, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. Legion

Legion Member

Hey all,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I know several modders for Temple+ are active on these forums, and I wanted to share some ideas for future editions of Temple+. I have no idea how feasible these are, so bear with me.

Suggestion #1: time stop. I have seen elsewhere that adding antimagic field into ToEE is a pain, so this might be difficult to achieve. I can imagine that the issue would be with everyone else in combat losing their turns while not being Held, or losing their initiative and having to re-enter combat while Flat-Footed. However, I think it would be a very fun addition, because apparently you actually end up moving extremely fast, rather than actually pausing what is the natural progression of time. I would think it's hilarious if the wimpy Wizard suddenly becomes invincible right before everyone's very eyes.

Suggestion #2: Wild Mage, which is apparently a prestige class in 3.5e. Unfortunately, Wild Mages don't quite function in 3.5e like they do in, say, Baldur's Gate, but I think they would still be a unique addition for people who (for some reason) want even more diversity in the arcane caster pool. I think the real challenge with adding Wild Mages would be the randomness factor, with the Reckless Dweomer and Wildstrike abilities (outlined in the link above) potentially causing problems (especially since we do not have Rods of Wonder in the current mod to my knowledge).

Suggestion #3: Lich as a prestige class. I am beyond stunned to learn that this is apparently a thing already... at least in a homebrew sense. It would probably be an absolute nightmare to actually pull off in the game, but I think it's a cool idea. Also, according to the link above, Liches can be ANY spellcaster, not just arcane spellcasters, so long as they know Craft Wondrous Item, are Evil, and are caster level 11. I also think the Lich would have to create their phylactery at some point before they wish to start leveling up as a Lich, at least in ToEE.

So... that's it. I'm curious if any of these are at all viable. Thanks for reading!

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

About #3 - you can probably find all sorts of crazy homebrew stuff... nothing is stopping you from making a lich "race" for that matter. I won't include that kind of thing in the main T+ distribution however (i.e. it would have to be a 3rd party file).

3. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Wild Mage seems pretty low on the reward/effort ratio. It has multiple abilities that require decision making in the middle of other actions, either because they're immediate actions, or they're like 'roll twice and choose which result you want' (which is harder to do than, like, choosing the higher/lower roll). It's probably possible (with enough engine tweaking), but then I'd wonder if anyone would actually use them, because they don't seem that good. (I guess it's strictly better than straight Sorcerer, since they get 0 class features.)

Time Stop is kind of similar. I've thought about it (since I like the spell), but it seems unlikely to be possible just with scripts. And then if it's implemented, how much content is there where people can use 9th level spells?

Edit: oh, also, to be properly awesome, you should probably make e.g. St. Cuthbert unaffected by Time Stop, which is even more work. (I don't care about what internet rules lawyers say about it being a Personal range spell that makes you really fast.)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  4. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

@Legion
    Welcome to the board!

D&D Wiki is mostly homebrew and community material. Any D&D Wiki page that isn't SRD: Something like SRD: Glaive is unofficial.

Lichdom, by RAW in 3.5, is a template that casters can choose to become.

Time stop and level 9 spells are usable around the end of the Co8 New Content campaign. Somewhere around War of the Golden Skull our 2 member team had level 9 spells (arcane for one and divine for the other), meaning it's possible with minimal or no farming to reach level 9 spells.

5. dolio

I was thinking about it a little more, and you might be able to get close using something similar to anatoliy's surprise round script. The problem is that (I think) limited duration effects shouldn't be ticking on time stopped people, but that seems really hard to accomplish without messing with the initiative instead of just making people take no-action rounds.

6. Legion

Legion Member

@dolio
    So Wild Mage and time stop are probably way too complicated for the amount of usage it will likely receive? That's fair enough (although disappointing, because I am also a fan of time stop). How do you decide what to include in Temple+ then, for supplemental material not included in Co8?

7. dolio

That's just my personal estimation of the two things. I'm not in charge, just a (new) contributor. But to make it happen, someone has to decide that their spare time is worth doing the work. :)

I mean, I would probably consider trying to make Time Stop. I'm just not in a good position to work on all the necessary parts, and I don't think the parts I can work on are sufficient to implement it well.

Edit: The issue with wild mage is that I'm not sure how you'd implement Random Deflector or Student of Chaos without it being clunky or not quite right. But maybe someone could think of something.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  8. Legion

Legion Member

Fair enough. I have no idea what goes into making new features to add in, so I appreciate your input!

9. Endarire

@Sitra Achara
    Hill Giant Wild Shape should allow all equipped item slots to be usable since it's humanoidal in shape.

Add the Halfweight craftable armor mod (+3 normally) which makes its affected weight category light armor. Especially useful for adamantine full plate.

Add the craftable Ring of Evasion. I thought this was already in the game since years ago! I checked today and it wasn't! (Remember, Evasion doesn't stack to form Improved Evasion in this game.)

Thankee!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  10. Endarire

@Sitra Achara
    I also want an option for spontaneous casters to be able to use Quicken Spell. Pathfinder allowed spontaneous casters to use Quicken Spell normally (no increase in casting time for spontaneously applying metamagic) and adding a toggle between 3.5 RAW and this version seems simple, especially since the Sudden Quicken feat is already in-game!

Thankee!

11. dolio

Does Rapid Metamagic (which I see in Temple+) make Quicken work? That's one of the published ways of getting that effect.

12. Endarire

@dolio
    The feat Rapid Metamagic works with Quicken. Thus, a T+ house rule I desire is to make spontaneously metamagicked spells require only standard casting time. I very dislike needing to overpay to use abilities, like needing 2+ feats just to properly use 1.

Thankee!

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Something actually relevant to Legion's OP: the starting map locations in their natural habitat.
    Starting maps.png

Our Host!