ToEE won't run on my new Laptop

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by marc1967, Jul 19, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

I do not use a mouse with the laptop.

I use the touchpad for all in-game controls, and when I need to move the map i would either use the touchpad to move the cursor near the edge of the window, but mostly I'd use the arrow keys to move the map.

If I need to move the map around a lot, to see what's out there, then for sure i'd be using the arrow keys.

If I need to move the map a little bit so i can move a character or target an enemy, then odds are i'd just move the cursor to the edge using the touchpad.

I do find using the arrow keys much more convenient to move the map because you can quickly move it in all directions compared to having to move the cursor to that edge of the screen, so even if i was not playing in window mode i'd still be using the arrow keys for map scrolling.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Re. Windowed mode, you could make your life a little easier by increasing the window size using the switch -geometry XXXxYYY. If it's large enough I suppose it could reduce the amount of scrolling needed.

Note that it should match the video_width / height configs. The UI will look a little glitchy however.

I also use windowed mode all the time, since it's more convenient for debugging, but then again I've enlarged the scroll-activation margin in Temple+ so it's less of a pixel hunt, and even then I tend to use the keyboard I think. You can move it a little to the left to make it more convenient.

anatoliy likes this.
  3. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

OK, I have a workable enough setup now, using Windowed mode. That's going to have to get the job done. Although I was never able to get full-screen going, that's fine.

Thanks to everyone who helped and gave me suggestions.

I have three different resolution/window-size combinations ready to go on the desktop depending on the modding need at that moment, using different values for video_height and video_width in conjunction with -geometry XXXxYYY. At times I have to change the screen resolution for the whole computer to get exactly what I want. But I'm happy enough.

I was also able to map the arrow keys to WASD so I can mouse with my right hand, and use arrow keys with my left hand, without stretching my left arm over the keyboard. Using the touchpad is not an option for me.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

One last thing I'd try, is messing around with the scaling options in the nvidia control panel.
    I can also guide you in debugging d3d_init_fullscreen if you're up for it.

5. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

About Windowed mode - personally I always play on 1152x648 with Maximize Window option. Otherwise minis become too tiny. The game was designed to be played on low res. Sometimes I switch to TV with 2.5 m distance - it's even more tiny. So...

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Are you saying a 100" screen?

7. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

No :) It's 32 inch screen but distance from my coach to the TV is 2.5 m.

Our Host!