Not a big fan of traps *SPOILER*

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Jul 4, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay, so what's the deal with Liv's frigging electrical trap on temple level 4 before you approach Hedrack? I've been trying to figure this thing out for 3 days now. No amount if ranks in thieving skills will allow my rogue to disarm the trap. There aren't even rolls in the rolls history window to indicate its being tried. Likewise with charisma. So "talk to the light" and "disarm the trap" are out. And there are no other options.

:rant: This is the one aspect of Liv's work that I really dislike. Being unable to unlock chests, disarm traps, disable devices, etc. amounts to nothing more than a constant irritant. If it involved a story element, then I'd be fine with it. But that's never the case. It's just, "Well, I got blown up for 30 points of electrical damage trying to tinker with that trap, so my cleric's going to have to waste a cure spell or two on the rogue. Plus, I can't open the damn chest anyway. Guess I'll have to go back to town to heal up and come back later. Sure wanna get my hands on that jasper ring in there though, and that scroll of Cure Minor Wounds." :rant:

I would submit that Co8 try to revert these trap conditions back to the way they were, should Liv fail to reappear on the boards. If I wanted to figure out traps and puzzles I'd play Myst or something. :bored:

oh btw, does anyone know how to get past the farging trap?

Thanks.

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Well, here's my little story of that same situation, from when I was drunk the other day.
    firstly I was walking down the coridor with Prince Thrommel in the lead, and because I was drunk just walked straight into the trap, zap, zap, zap. one dead prince, but my hole party is stuck. I cant select all or move, so time to reload. This time I'll try to disable methinks, but beforehand I think i'll go for a wander, while on my little sidetrack my one and only rogue gets KIA, mmmm what to do? well I hired kella and tryed leveling her up as a rogue, but she wouldn't even look at the control box. ok what to do now, i'll try Terjon back soon... ok i'm back at the control box, level up rogue, still not good enough even though I got to "levelup bug", so I continue to level up as a bard, to try to get max skill points, and finally he can disable the trap

3. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

For what it's worth, Liv mentioned a couple of times wanting to change that trap in 2.0, that it was really just an experiment.

Okay, here come some SPOILERS:

As far as how to get past it, during my last run my rogue was able to disable it. Outside of that, I've heard there is a password that can be obtained from some of the NPCs in the area.

Another way is to initiate a fake combat and run your party past it (combat disables the lightning effect).

Yet another way I've dealt with it is by casting Icestorm in the area and actually "killed" the lightning effect.

4. Marceror

This issue is caused by running through the lightning effect with either frag or scather... don't do it, as it will jack your game.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

So its there to encourage you not to take the overpowered weapons into the endgame? Hmmmm... intruiging...

6. Belgham

Belgham Member

All you need to do is unequip the offending weapons then reequip when you get pass the trap.
    Anyway you dont really need them by endgame anyway.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Thanks, all.

My 9th level rogue has a DEX of 22, 15 ranks in disable device, and he still can't get it. Could be his INT is too low at 12, I guess. Also, I tried the ice storm attack, but it does no damage, or hits for 0, I should say. So I'm stuck with Marceror's other suggestion - temporarily entering combat to run by the trap. That works, although it's time-consuming. Plus, it smacks of a cheat - deliberately exploiting a weakness in the system to overcome an inconvenience. That would have driven Liv crazy, especially if used on one of her additions. But thanks for the workaround, Marceror. :thumbsup:

Oh btw, regarding the password from NPCs, I think that happens with trolls in the area after you beat them down. Occasionally you have the option to interrogate them for "information about the temple." Never worked for my spokesperson though. Since when do you have to be a police interrogator to get the time of day from somebody? :roll: Okay, sorry. I'll be good from now on. ;)

Thanks again.

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I got so mad and frustrated that I used the console to teleport to the air node, took out the Vrock and exited that way. It comes out on the right side of the circular room and I attacked from there. Kind of a round about way but it worked. Good thing the air node is pretty easy.

9. Marceror

This worked for me in the 1.0 release of Liv's mod, and I mentioned to Livonya that this was how I dealt with the trap. More than likely she added resistances to the trap in later versions to increase the difficulty.

At any rate, glad you we able to get past it and continue with your game.

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

You're not cheating...you're going "Slow Motion" like all the great action adventure heroes. It works for them...! :cartman:

Police don't interrogate; they interview...

:chairshot :punch:

Our Host!