RtToEE shops

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by anatoliy, Jun 10, 2021.

Remove all ads!
Tags:
  1. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

I can't see why it couldn't then have the Lawful property weapon, if it better fits the npc background.

This would allow for even more player variety, as neutral evil and lawful evil could use it without detriment.

Most monsters are chaotic (evil) anyways. The only negative is that a chaotic party member can't use it without a "level" loss. Does the game really need a holy weapon? There may be the occasional DR that is troublesome, but often there is an alternative damage type like cold and silver, that can bypass. Further, the DR is typically 10 or less on monsters where there is no alternative type- and the lawful weapon is still adding 2d6 damage to a chaotic creature.

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Holy Axiomatic weapons are possible, and awesome...

3. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

@Daryk
    Against ToEE foes, a +1 Holy Axiomatic weapon with the proper base (I prefer polearms) is like lovely bliss. Things die easily, and I can move on! Alleluia!

4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

And there's even one you can use as a base already in the game...

5. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

My point was simply that there will be no holy weapon because Y'dey can't legit make holy. Instead this once-only reward would be an axomatic weapon. No other holy or axiomatic crafting.

:rolleyes: I am familiar with the holy axomatic great hammer and it is an insanely good weapon. Too good..but at least it isn't handed to you early with no struggle, unlike the Answering sword. I'll admit that I often give this to Fruella, as it's a perfect fit. But I'd be ok with just 1/2 of the damage.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  6. Kriegdoom

Kriegdoom Member

as a PnP DM, I never stocked stores with magic items, except maybe some curios "behind the counter" IF the party built a good rapport with the shopkeeper. One reason: if a store is stocked with two dozen magic items guarded by a fat merchant and maybe a couple men-at-arms, why go adventuring? all the loot you could want is right there for the taking! Not to mention that in a world where a cured ham cost 2 coppers, a merchant with two dozen magic items would be stupendously rich, too rich to want to advertise his wealth to a motley bunch of cutthroat adventurers.

anatoliy, Shiningted and FDR4PREZ like this.
  7. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

I've heard this is why many Forgotten Realms shopkeepers are 10th level fighters or similar. :)

anatoliy likes this.
  8. Kriegdoom

Kriegdoom Member

Ive noticed that heh heh

9. Kriegdoom

Kriegdoom Member

another option: limit MI by party reputation. similar to what I said earlier. merchant not going to expose his wealth unless he knows a sale is likely, AND can trust party will not murder him. party reputation would inform merchant of party's likely wealth and trustworthiness.

anatoliy likes this.
  10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah I thought of that - but that's been the way for a while. Even in Hommlet, the place most like to sack, the jewellers, has both armed guards and Nira who is a retired thief. (Jinnerth was also meant to hit like a 7th level fighter but who is going to rob the fabric store?) The other place most likely to hit - the Provisioners - well, we know Rannos and Gremag were not 1d4hp peasants. The beauty of that method is you don't have to do it more than for one or two shopkeepers - every trader being a retired adventurer is silly - since any run-in with a trader has the chance of turning very bad for the players. As long as the players hear rumours of a retired high-level character incognito, it should give them pause. (Or maybe just don't bother writing dungeons, let your party have their combat fun in town ;))
    That's a good idea :)

Kriegdoom likes this.
  11. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

Currently postponed. Due to lack of tools for isometric map creation.

Our Host!