The Temple Of Elemental Evil pnp Campaign

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cujo, Jun 2, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Hey guys.
    Its been a few weeks or so since my last post here, however, my friends and I have been playing dnd together for the last couple of years twice a week. I DM our Saturday game and we have a seperate Thursday game with a different DM so I get to play as a PC.

Anyway, the important bit, our current Saturday campaign is nearing completion and I'm going to run ToEE as the next one, because well I really enjoyed the computer game version. And on that note I'm looking for advice on what level to start my players chartacters at. I was thinking level 4.

I have a copy of the original module and something that converts it into 5e. There are elements in the PC game which aren't in the origianal, and Co8 content that I'm not familliar with so I don't want to run it, I'd rather run stuff I remember from the PC game and stuff I can read in the module. I'm reasonably confident that my table wont be interested in the hommlet fedex quests and their current toons are level 5.

What do you guys think of a starting level of 4 before heading off to Emridy Meadows/The Moat House with 5e rules? Too high, too low?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

No idea. Good to see you though :)

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I've never played 5th ed but 4th sounds a bit high.

It would be interesting to spice it up though - for example, what if you incorporated @Livonya's rainbow rock encounter, and folded in the Hill Giant as a giant skeleton that charges in mid fight?

4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

My experience of 5e has been... less than I hoped. It's certainly less jarring than PF2e, but it's still enough different from the 3.X (to include PF1e) versions that I don't think you can make reasonable comparisons. Things are just too... different.

anatoliy likes this.
  5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Well guys had session 1 of ToEE 5e
    The party consists of a druid, two clerics, a socerer, and elmo.
    They all came to Hommlet for slightly different reasons, and just so happened to arrive on the same day.
    After getting compeating in the drinking contest, which one of the clerics just managed to win, they had a good nights sleep and then headed to the moat house after Jaroo told them where it was.
    The party has gotten as far as the giant frog encounter. pretty standard fight, hit them and get hit back, the highlight being the druid wildshaping into a giant frog, and trying to swallow one of enemy giant frogs, and then another giant frog trying to swallow him.
    The druid was smart enough to spit out the frog he was trying to swallow and make another bite attack at it, which finished it off. However the frog attacking him failed its Wisdom saving throw and started choking on the druid, who then made his dex save to twist around and bite his attackers legs finishing it off.

Our Host!