Moathouse ambush philosophy

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by MrPhil, May 19, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. MrPhil

MrPhil Member

I find myself puzzled by the dialog that happens during the moathouse ambush.
    I don't really understand what their motivation or the point they are trying to make.

Back in hommlet, they seem keen to fight the bandits, but now they turn up with gnolls in tow and seem upset that I've killed the boss.

And as for the monk's philosophical musings, I've no idea what he's on about. Maybe I need to craft an amulet of wisdom.

In my head, I've decided that they are simply super grumpy that I stole all their gear while they were passed out drunk. Does anyone else have a better explanation?

Thanks.

2. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

I've never recruited these guys, but they are scripted to turn against your party under certain circumstances. I don't recall if they are affiliated with the moathouse bandits, or whether they are a separate faction who see their chance to replace them when the party is stumbling home after a big fight. Either way it's an absolute zinger.

3. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Maybe this was made clearer in the original tabletop module.

4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

That ambush wasn't in the original table top module.

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

That's inaccurate - the description of Turuko and Kobort says they will spy on larger parties returning from the moathouse and attack when they're reduced by deaths and wounds.

anatoliy likes this.
  6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

True, but it doesn't include the gnolls from that one particular alignment vignette...

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

@MrPhil - to answer your question, the dialogue was cobbled together from existing unused or little-used dialogue choices for those characters. There was initially more, Gaear toned it down a little and I think the final outcome is fantastic - but when you are using pre-existing assets, you are (obviously) limited. Re their motivation - they're (Kobort, Turuko and Zert) all baddies who are scripted to turn on the party if the become weak or vulnerable. Philosophy-wise, players tend to not take them along, (knowing their utility will be finite) so this allows them to have an impact in the game otherwise.

Fun fact - Gareth Edwards did something similar for Rogue One, using outtakes of the Death Star fight to create authentic-looking footage of Red and Gold squadron. Can't tell you how much I loved act 3 of that movie.

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

That is a VERY fun fact, sir! Thank you! :)

9. MrPhil

MrPhil Member

That does cast the conversation in a different light.

Thanks ShiningTed

Our Host!