Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Oh now that is nice. :D

2. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

I just restarted playing the original IWD and I have just completed Kresselack's areas - oh boy, the battle engine still sux rocks. It's no wonder I never replayed any of these games.

I can't wait for the IWD:TOEE version.

Is the plan still a release per chapter?

Chapter 1 = Kuldahar, Vale of Shadows and the Temple of the Forgotten God

So there's still a fair bit of Chapter 1 map work and game play to get done, yeah?

3. Allyx

That is the current plan yes, Ted has been sectoring the tomb maps defining walls, torches, ground sound effects etc...

I have been populating Kuldahar and editing stat blocks and inventories mostly, the Clerics of Ilmatar are mostly done, just need to add a store for potion purchases and add healing dialogue for the head Cleric.

All other stores have been added, but the contents all need adjusting. I also still need to figure out how to make the logbook at the Inn work again.

4. FDR4PREZ

Great, thanks for the update.

One thing that I noticed in IWD is that mage spells are hard to come by so you aren't too overpowering for the battles at hand.

As you explore higher level dungeons then you find higher level mage scrolls. I am not sure how this can be done in the TOEE version since you basically have instant access to new spells when you level up.

5. Allyx

Orrick the Wizard with the Goblin servant sells scrolls of arcane magic spells in the EE version at least, I have given him a scroll sellers store to provide magical scrolls to those with the gold to purchase them with.

6. FDR4PREZ

I do not have the EE version, but, yes, Orrick sells scrolls and his selection is quite limited.

The EE version has added quite a few, so I will be missing those spells :mad:

One of the big differences is that in ToEE you gain spells during level up, but in IWD you do not so if you don't have a scroll for a particular spell then you will never have that spell. I like this process actually. Why should spells *magically* show up in your spell book just because you leveled up? o_O

This shows the scroll availability per spell and its location:
    Arcane spell scroll availability | Icewind Dale Wiki | Fandom

You start the game spell-less and you can't even get Magic Missile until you get to Orrick, so starting with Easthaven and the Pass you only have Sleep and Chromatic Orb if you are inclined to steal them from Pomab. Which you are basically forced to steal them otherwise your mage will have zero spells. That is why thieves are not Lawful Good :p

The IWD:ToEE version will have slightly tougher battles with better AI, so having instant access to more spells (gained during level up) will be well compensated for by having tougher battles - i would think

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Very interesting point actually. (I assume they do start with cantrips though?)
    I think I could provide dll hacks to disable this if you want.

8. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Please let Wizards (and spellbook-based casters) learn their spells at level time! All other casters learn their spells automatically at leveling or/and from other means!

9. Allyx

I had not intended to disable spells known at level up for Wizards, it is RAW for 3.5 that they just automatically learn new spells as they level up.

Orrick's store in the EE version I believe changes with your progress through the game, so he may have 1st - 3rd level scrolls to start with, and progressively higher level scrolls as the story state is advanced.

I've just given Orrick access to the Verbobonc scroll merchant's store for now, so the limits will be your ability to cast the spell level, and how deep your pockets are.

10. FDR4PREZ

Nope, no cantrips. Unless they were added in IWD:EE

I am not playing the EE-version, so I can't confirm this.

There shouldn't be a need to disable the automatic spell learning in the ToEE engine during level up. As @Endarire mentions, there are other classes without this limitation, but it may be a neat T+ house rule setting. Cleric/Druid/Paladins get their spells from a divine source, so that's different, but all arcane-based classes should be learning new spells from study :)

Yes, Orrick will change his scroll inventory based on the chapter. This is shown in the link in my previous post showing the scroll availability chart.

Side Question:
    You mentioned that you are playing the IWD:EE so is this the basis of IWD:ToEE?

I ask because the EE-version adds a few more quests, more spells, weapons, etc, and class-kits and such from BGII

11. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Was Balsurs Gate also like that or did wizards get spells on levelup? It sounds like a unique IWD feature..

12. FDR4PREZ

Sorry, it has been way too long since I've played Baldur's Gate, so I don't rightly recall

13. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I am sure BG is just like IWD and that after 1st level wizards must purchase or loot spells

14. Allyx

I didn't play much of Baldur's Gate tbh, so I don't rightly know. I did however play 2nd Ed PnP back in the day, and I don't believe gaining spells on levelling up was a thing. You gained more spell slots, but you only gained new known spells with scrolls, enemy spellbooks, or occasionally you might seek out a spellcaster to teach you a spell they know for a price.

Edit: After consulting the 2e PHB.
    Wizards do not automatically gain spells on level up but must add to the spellbook as I described above. In addition, Wizards with an INT score of 18 or less have a hard limit to the number of spells of each level they may memorise, they may not forget one of their spells to make room for a different one.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  15. FDR4PREZ

Yeah, the good old days :D

Our Host!