SGoS v1.0 Bug thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, Jan 29, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

The issue if smashing locked doors.

ToEE had no such ability - to smash or break object. And I did added that, as I personally do not like to play a Rogue in my usual 4 person party. In any case I thought the intention is justifiable, as RAW has it, so why not.

But the problem is - everyone would just jump to using these options by usually chopping a door or a chest without any penalty involved.

Even if chopping would break fragile objects like potions - one would just reload the save and try other means like for example the Break Object ability. Computer game is quite different to tabletop as allows reload, which essentially is metagaming.

My domestic party just finished Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. They would never use any clairvoyance ability, except maybe Detect Evil, constantly annoying thing I tell ya. They would also chop or break any door they see, without any second thought.

The only time they stop and were perplexed it was when their Paladin drop unconscious before final boss door (high level vampire). But even then they would go into, and then run out immediately. Afterwards they would regroup and use all uber potions available to them (like heroism potions, fly etc) .

Essentially there is no simple bonus by not smashing or breaking a door. Except surprise off course, plus preparation of monsters.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The go through doors issue is a well known vanilla issue unfortunately. I think it's due to the game doing collision detection with the door mesh rather than simply through the door radius (↔cylinder). I'll see if anything can be done to root this out.

anatoliy likes this.
  3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

That may have its own problems of course, but I dare say you thought of that - hopefully it will be an improvement.

4. anatoliy

Sitra, I did use the script you provided:
    Code:
    import debug
    debug.recalc_neighbours()
    debug.flush_nodes()
    debug.genclr()
    But where these files are saved into? I do not see them.

5. Sitra Achara

Use the DM UI, it tells you everything:)

anatoliy likes this.
  6. anatoliy

7. Sitra Achara

Welp, it turns out it's a Temple+ bug. To be precise we introduced a bug when trying to debug/solve the original issue 3 years ago. And the worst part is that it happens when moving on a particular movement axis, and I'm pretty sure i tested the other one back then!
    Will issue a hotfix soon.
    On the bright side this may be the end of that bug for good!

Shiningted and anatoliy like this.
  8. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

This explains quite a bit...

I never used T+ before this module, so this explains why I never saw it before, but I can honestly say that I never really attempted to walk through doors while playing the Co8 modpacks.

I only discovered this issue because I went to go smash the door, so I right-clicked on the door and selected smash, my walks up and stops halfway into the door. I wish I could have seen the look my his face when he buries himself into the door :eek:

I did also notice that there was a certain allowed pathway through the closed door. If my guy was walking too much of an angle then he'd be blocked. You can see that in the video I posted, too.

Neat stuff

anatoliy likes this.
  9. FDR4PREZ

I got a little distance into the South quest, and then noticed I was running low on ammo (because the vendors aren't working right), so I left and went back to town to look again for some bolts... If not, then i need to change to a bow for him.

When I re-entered I got the obligatory welcome back attack (the bottom three enemies)... A few rounds into the battle I was surprised by three more that suddenly popped into the battle behind my guys.

That is not right - or fair :(

upload_2021-2-22_15-16-19.png

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Not sure if that is a bug or what. BUT, I can say that KotB (the original module) - in the Caves of Chaos - included the idea of monsters returning from foraging etc, and also monsters hiding in the trees outside the caves. Both of these could unpleasantly take you in the rear.

Overall, a disturbed dungeon who's owner sets an ambush at the door, is not uncommon. But since those threee are facing the wrong way, it may just be a bug.

I'll update the bug list tonight btw.

11. FDR4PREZ

I dare say that most of the monsters in the various caves in KotB are a fair bit easier than going up against this lot

12. anatoliy

During a combat? That is weird.

Can you please share your savegame? I need to take a look.

13. FDR4PREZ

After that happening, I started to cry...

At that time I reloaded and it hasn't happened since, but I will see if I can find the previous save game from that point.

anatoliy likes this.
  14. anatoliy

I believe it has something to do with entering, spotting respawn, leaving and entering again. Such steps would lead to duplicated respawn.

Nevertheless, it is a defect, as I would adjudicate - the Patrol is allocated only once, after some period of time passed between PC return.

15. anatoliy

Disambiguation how travel time vs Patrol respawn work

Travel time
    Speed table
    Code:
    +----------+-----------+----------+----------+----------+
    | Speed    | 15 feet   | 20 feet  | 30 feet  | 40 feet  |
    | One hour | 1.5 miles | 2 miles  | 3 miles  | 4 miles  |
    | One day  | 12 miles  | 16 miles | 24 miles | 32 miles |
    Distances between Sumberton and Dungeons:
    1. Laboratory - 50 miles, max travel time: 97.33 hours;
    2. Temple - 140 miles, max travel time: 269.33 hours;
    3. Armory - 250 miles, max travel time: 486.66 hours;
    Threshold for Patrol respawn
    In version 1.1 it is 113 hours for all maps. But I incline, thanks to @FDR4PREZ, to modify it to at minimum 2x travel time + 12 hours for resting. So there would be at least one rest available for Player to make in the Town.

Sometimes one rest is not enough. But I consider this balance point. So Player should use Healing wands, which are in abundant quantity to buy at the Sumberton market.

Our Host!