Community Feedback

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Jul 24, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok, I can confirm the problem - I had him tripping humans and attacking snakes, but against undead he won't move.

More testing needed! I found a bug at the end of the dlg file for training - that shouldn't be the problem but those sort of bugs have funny results. I'll check the latest version of the file (dust off the modding laptop) and see if it works any better.

EDIT: Still not sure, it doesn't seem to just be the default 'you can't attack unnatural things" kicking back in, or there would be an appropriate floatline. <sigh> A LOT of testing needed for what works and what doesn't. I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    arius likes this.
  2. Shiningted

Just confirming this is bugged, I have a wolf just standing there when it is supposed to be attacking a goblin. A freaking GOBLIN. <sigh>

The floatline does seem to work, but will prevent combat if there is anything unnatural in range even if not involved in the combat, eg the chests on the starting map (and possibly undead followers). I will adjust this.

EDIT: I am thinking this may have been broken when I tweaked it to stop summonses being affected? Because I swear this used to work.

3. Shiningted

Ok, bad news Arius - I tested the current version in my one-day-to-be-finished KotB 2.0 and it works fine. In fact, works beautifully whether the animal is untrained, partially trained or a fully trained killing machine (in this one, the wolf charged the goblin, injured him, and then finished him off with an AoO, all in one round, with no-one else having to lift a finger).

BUT, I can't see any difference between the current and old versions (no difference that explains the problem) and when I transfer the files over, it doesn't make it work in the current 1.1 (1.0.1?) release. I am thus thinking it might be a change to the proto, because all the summonable animal protos got overhauled for the next release to fix various factional and other issues. I can't post the current protos.tab because it has any number of changes re heartbeats and such that could screw up a game.

So unless I have a brainwave or other epiphany, I'm going to have to just consider this a 'known issue' of the current release, which sucks, but I need to focus on things I can actually fix atm.

4. arius

arius Member

whoops, 3 weeks after the fact and I didn't even see this. No worries at all, as I indicated in another thread, I dropped my druid and picked up a nature cleric, still puttering through the current release and having a blast. I just got to the Thorp of Lord Axer and love the feel, background music, general sense of debauchery, etc.

While we have your attention: was there more content slated in KotB 2.0? As in will higher character levels be required, more places to visit on the map? more quests? Or is this mainly major bug fixes ? I think KotB 1.0.1 is meant to end at CL 6-7 but I'll probably trying to get higher as I'm a character progression fiend and love the 3.5e ruleset like most here I'm sure.

5. Shiningted

More content for sure - the Orc Caves finally have Orcs for one thing - but mostly alignment oriented. So, an LG party will finish by dealing with Lord Axer, not in the Caves, while an LE party will trash the Church in the Keep (and face the consequences). But not 'higher level' per se, actually trying to balance it so players don't level to the point that its a cakewalk.

Kriegdoom likes this.
  6. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

I did this just for fun in one play through.

Fun stuff

7. FDR4PREZ

I was just reading the wikipedia page for KotB and found this tidbit on the talk page:

upload_2021-1-26_10-44-46.png

8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

How are they? Been a while since I last saw them...

9. FDR4PREZ

They're having tea awaiting their move in date to arrive

upload_2021-1-26_12-25-38.png

10. Shiningted

They're working last I checked :)

11. Vancy

Vancy Member

Hello,

I just want to say I absolutely love the mod so far, the atmosphere, the music and the ways it improved upon TOEE is just phenomenal.

I would like to ask if some troubles I encountered may be bugs or things not yet implemented.
    I'm wondering about the quest from lord Thorp, who sends you as an emissary to the Keep. I talked to the Merchants' Guild representative and he said he will consider the trade route if I convince the castellan. I talk to the Gate Guard npc and he says he will notify the castellan, after which I am transported to the Inner Bailey, but the castellan is nowhere to be found. Is there a way to talk to him at this point in the game? I haven't been to Caves of Chaos yet.

12. Shiningted

Actually, no, you can't ever just walk up to the Castellan like that. I'm surprised you got in! Have fun in the Inner Keep but don't be surprised if you get challenged and thrown out.

The end of that quest is just to go back to Axer and tell him what happened.

13. Vancy

Vancy Member

Thank you for the information! Can you perhaps unveil the mystery of the quest Caravan of Courage? This is the only quest that I found that I wasn't able to even start doing. I was searching, if it was mentioned anywhere, but to no avail.

14. Shiningted

Well, you said you haven't been to the Caves - you need to go there to complete this.

15. Vancy

Vancy Member

I've rescued the caravan and joined the Merchant's Guild. Got the quest Who's raiding the trading, but I can't seem to be able to talk to the Corporal. The guards in the tower tell me he's hungover and to come back later, but no matter how many times I try he's not there. I assume the line of dialogue is because of me knocking him out during the quest with the saddlebags for the Thieves' guild, but is he intended to disappear from the game forever following that?

Our Host!