Great Mace question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Major_Blackhart, Dec 29, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

There are already 3 two-handed bludgeoning weapon options, the Heavy Flail, Greatclub and Maul... a 4th is largely redundant IMO, I mean people like choice and I get that, but sooner or later the various number combinations to make each mechanically different will be used by something that is essentially just blunt force trauma on a stick.

2. Alporik

Alporik Member

I like shiningted's idea of making it 20/x4, but having the weight be truly backbreaking. That would be a pretty unique weapon and differentiate it from the maul, which is at least partially wooden and presumably lighter.

3. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

It's called a Goliath Great Hammer and is an exotic weapon

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ewww, not making exotic weapons (have to fiddle with a new feat if that's the case).
    Yeah, but if someone went to the trouble of making a normal one, we can balance it and make a MW one. Otherwise, its about the feats again - heavy flail requires the feat (which I think is martial), greatclub also has its own feat, and maul uses warhammer which I tihnk is also martial. Warhammer seems to serve both 1 and 2-handed hammers, (greathammer uses war hammer, light hammer gets its own feat) so I have no problem with a great mace using the heavy mace feat (again, light mace gets its own feat) and giving clerics this option. In fact, I love the idea of a cleric with a 2 handed mace charging into battle screaming his god's name and bludgeoning away.

Like we did in the old days....

EDIT: Far out, it uses the morningstar feat. Why do I bother. Is morningstar martial? If so, 19-20 x2, otherwise 20 x2.

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Morningstar is a simple weapon, I opt for it over a mace for my cleric builds consistently.

6. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Agree, morningstar has always been my go-to cleric one-hander. But if I want to go two-hander with a cleric, I'd probably still go with longspear for the reach.

...It's funny, I totally don't remember starting the conversation on the greatmace being non-RAW, and the thread didn't even show that I'd posted in it (it will now, I assume) but there I am on page one. :)

7. Shiningted

O we know who to blame :p

Morningstar is 20 x2. Funny feat choice, since morning star is piercing and bludgeoning, which has also been copied over to great mace. <sigh> I guess I will change that if no one minds. In fact, I tihnk I should change it to use the heavy mace for reasons mentioned above. Of course, removing piercing damage means its technically weaker (not that anything is vulnerable to piercing) so I might

- make it use Heavy Mace feat
    - make it 20 x3 (which is nerfing it from its current 19-20 x3, but consistent with a war hammer)

How does that sound? Or 19-20 x2 if you prefer to 20 x3. Does anyone have strong opinions on that, or on the change of feat choice? (No-one is going to take 'WF Morningstar' for a Great Mace unless they read the fine print, and I hate having to do that. Very glad we added the fine print, but still hate having to look it up because the intuitive option was wrong! :rolleyes:)

8. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

And over 9 years later, it might get fixed, I know how high I am on the priority list too. :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, Heavy Mace is definitely more appropriate. I would be fine with either crit range. Going to leave it at 1d12 or reduce to 1d10? With either crit option 1d12 still makes it the best non-reach two-hander for a cleric... but something has to be the best, right?

9. Shiningted

Ok, if I am expanding the crit range for a simple weapon, then reducing the damage to 1d10 makes sense, yes :)
    Might being the operative word, but you've progressed in the queue :D

Our Host!