Leaving characters at the inn of the wench

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by pitttbulll, Apr 26, 2020.

Remove all ads!
  1. pitttbulll

pitttbulll Member

I figured how to leave a character at the inn but the latest version of CO8 says your allowed to now leave characters at the inn and they won't be deleted like before.
    I tried leaving a character there but it warns me and looks like it really deletes them like before.
    Fortunately my previous loads still had the character so I didn't permanently lose him.
    Am I doing something wrong, or did this new feature not get incorporated?
    I was hoping to play with a full pc party of 8 and drop off a character when I need the slot to do a quest or pickup an important needed npc.
    I'm running toee+ 1.075

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. Dreamteam

Dreamteam Member

I don't have the game installed atm, but don't you move characters between the active party and the inactive available roster by clicking on the hotel-keeper's book at the Welcome Wench?

I don't remember ever having a PC 'deleted' permanently when I did that.

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Are you talking about the Temple+ feature?
    For that you need to talk to the ostler and tell him to leave behind a PC.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  4. Isewein

Isewein Established Member

That option doesn't seem to come up for me in his dialogue there, what are the prerequisites?

5. Sitra Achara

You need to have secured permanent lodging first.

Isewein likes this.
  6. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

When I played with that, I had to talk to Ostler, tell him someone was staying behind, then head upstairs in the Welcome Wench Inn.

7. Isewein

And how do you pick someone back up? I head upstairs, the party member disappears and then is nowhere to be found. Can't add him via the book either, as he's still listed as in party already.

8. Sitra Achara

Are you sure they're not there? Could be hiding in the corner. If so please upload the save.

9. Isewein

Hm... I could be blind but I don't think so. I do see him for a couple of seconds right in front of the fireplace upon ascending the stairs, but he then disappears and is nowhere to be found.

I was trying to ditch my Paladin for a while to do the Temple quests... slaying a snake does not exactly strike me as a good cause to fall. :p

Attached Files:

10. Sitra Achara

Wow, I've never seen that one happen yet. Do you remember what steps you took between leaving PC at the inn and returning there?

11. Isewein

I just checked, and the bug is reproducable from here. Try leaving any of the PCs at the inn and they disappear. No other steps in between.

Attached Files:

12. Sitra Achara

Thanks. I'd never have guessed, but the cause is the Summon Familiar script - it's destroying your PC as soon as it leaves your party...

Attached a temporary fix. Put it in [ToEE folder]/data/scr.

Attached Files:

13. Isewein

Thanks, seems to work fine now. So I understand this only affects characters with a summoned familiar? That might explain why the bug hasn't been reported frequently.

14. Sitra Achara

Yes. And it's only on a bug out at that - when the object handle to the familiar gets corrupted (for some reason getting replaced with a handle to a PC). I wonder how that happens...

15. Isewein

I've been encountering a lot of odd behaviour with familiars. Sometimes they appear as party members (fully controllable with a portrait), sometimes summons, with no obvious pattern. They do not appear in the formations menu, while Animal Companions on the other hand do. They enter stealth mode inconsistently (as reported in the other thread). Their code in general might need a makeover.

Our Host!