How to enable more skills in Char Editor

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by anatoliy, Jun 9, 2020.

Remove all ads!
  1. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

And even without my intervention current Skills rendering does not look good.

CharSkillsBugs.png

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Apparently it's that way due to the enlarged fonts (co8 modification). It's a fine opportunity to enlarge the boxes to fit bigger fonts, though.

anatoliy likes this.
  3. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

@anatoliy, are you editing temple+ to support modular new skills in the game, so they also show up in the UI for level up and inventory screen, and could be easier added through python? Have you been able to get inventory screen to show for new skills yet? I would be very pleased to know since my current solution was to use the activator Ted linked and just do a writeHex in temple+ to activate an unused skill so I could hijack it for autohypnosis which only shows in level up.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  4. anatoliy

@WinstonShnozwick, yes, I am trying to display more skills, than vanilla and T+ currently shows.

There are almost all skills from D&D present in the ToEE, but not displayed. I tried to enable them, with success to some point, but paint functions must be adjusted as well. Which is, frankly, quite hard, due to very complex disassemble code.

Therefore, due to lower priority of this feature, I have postponed it for a while.

As for feats - there are lots of new feats in T+, so why don't you add new yourself?

5. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Whoops my typo, I meant to type skill, not feat. I've got no problem adding new feats since they are almost entirely separated from the assembly thanks to temple+.

Speaking of feats though, another ui related thing that doesn't work currently is the inventory feat screen for characters. For all new feats added through python, if you click on them in that screen, it links to the base of the help wiki, and I was unable to figure out how to mod the wiki link at that area if you click or press h and click. Same for in level up with h.

6. Sitra Achara

So it turns out I'm a dopey poopeyhead and you don't need to replace that button array at all, and you can fairly easy expand the range of displayed skills - you have to change the 21 constant in various places, and also extend the scrollbar max value from 1 to whatever. Both easy hex edits.
    The only downside is that the skills won't be alohabetically sorted, and you can't pick n choose which ones are visible, it'll show them all. So I'll still rewrite it, but it could be useful for KotB sans Temple+ if you're interested @Shiningted

anatoliy likes this.
  7. Sitra Achara

Here it is:

upload_2020-11-28_22-30-17.png

8. anatoliy

9. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

@Sitra Achara
    Thankee! Can you use a sort() method on this to arrange them alphabetically, or allow users to manually rearrange their order?

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Very interested and much appreciated, particularly if you mention which bits need Hex Edits.

11. Sitra Achara

UiCharSkillsBtnRender
    0x001BD915
    83 F8 15 | cmp eax, 15h
    change to
    83 F8 2A | cmp eax, 2Ah

UiCharSkillsBtnTooltip
    0xx01BE01F
    83 F8 15 | cmp eax, 15h
    change to
    83 F8 2A | cmp eax, 2Ah

UiCharSkillWidgetsInit
    0x001BE251 -
    89 B4 24 5C 01 00 00 | mov [esp+420h+scrollbar.ymax], esi
    89 B4 24 64 01 00 00 | mov [esp+420h+scrollbar.scrollQuantum], esi
    change to
    C7 84 24 5C 01 00 00 | mov [esp+420h+scrollbar.ymax],0x2a
    2A 00 00 00 90 90 90
    (The scrollQuantum is already inited to 1 so I cannibalized the 2nd mov)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  12. Sitra Achara

Certainly, that was always the intention.

Here it is. While I was at it I also improved some of the display quirks that stemmed from the enlarged font.
    upload_2020-11-29_23-23-56.png

_doug_ and anatoliy like this.
  13. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) is fair to add for oozes (Crystal Ooze, Black Pudding, Ochre Jelly...) and aberrations (Umber Hulk, Ice Tyrant...). Knowledge (Planes) covers Elementals and Outsiders.

What benefit do the Knowledge skills give? Seeemingly, a higher Knowledge means you can learn more about a creature's special attacks, special qualities, resistances, immunities, vulnerabilites, etc.

14. Sitra Achara

I don't intend to bring in new skills, just support the activated ones - i.e. skills that were already in the engine but turned off.

This was mainly done for kn. Arcana and maybe kn. Nature since a number of proposed feats required it, and also for skills activated in Anatoliy's mod. I think some PRC's are also supposed to require it?

Although, come to think of it, there's something a bit off about enabling a skill just to fill a prerequisite, i.e. with no ingame utility orher than that. I'll probably apply that prereq only for strict rules enforcement then.

_doug_ and anatoliy like this.
  15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I quite agree with that, but I would say (for what its worth) that's its better to have them for prereq reasons only than just skip them altogether. It's not like most classes use their skill points in ToEE: generally only the Rogue uses his social / theiving skills, beyond that other classes might use Concentration or Perform (maybe Spellcraft and Heal, maybe Tumble).

O and thanks for the Hex stuff, I'll try it out in KotB and see how I go.

Our Host!