Circle of Eight Modpack v8 Final General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pygmy, Sep 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

If you installed correctly, you will have done the following:

1. Install the game.
    2. Install official patches 1 and 2 (not required if using the Gog version)
    3. Install the Co8 8.1.0 patch (NC or Standard version).
    4. Use the TFE-X.exe to start the launcher.
    5. Activate the Co8 8.1.0 patch.
    6. Launch the game with the launcher.

2. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

If you still get the Java message then either your Anti-virus is interfering or more likely it's the Java type

3. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

As a matter of curiosity has anyone found a way of sticking a keen weapon effect onto an unarmed strike please? [not being able to wait until ECL 23 I have ruled out improved critical]

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Is it just me or do the social skills no longer make themselves known? I have been testing stuff and haven't seen a single Bluff, Sense Motive, Gather Info or Diplomacy test yet... the lines appear but not the graphics / different colours.

5. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

@Pygmy
    You could use a Kama since it's a Monk weapon.

Also, the feat Improved Critical gives you the same effect as Keen but on any weapon for which you qualify.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  6. Blackened Halo

Blackened Halo Member

Hello,
    I would like to ask you what was your basis for creating additional content. Was it a known cut content, was it a GDD in which Troika noted all quests, etc. they wanted to implement (but because of Atari they werent able to) or just you created all the additional content based on your own fantasy? Also I would like to know if someone from Troika helped you to form this awesome modpack!

Thank you!

7. Allyx

I assume you are referring to the most recent modpack and will answer with this in mind.

There is some original Troika content that has been re-enabled, the Snake Pit (brothel) in Nulb has been added back into the game. It was originally considered too adult for official release and was cut.

There is some minor optional new content added within the scope of the original content (IE everything that occurs before Zuggtmoy is defeated), namely a puzzle in Burne's tower, and a combat quest for 1st level players intended to offer a more interesting way to accrue early XP than the 101 Fed Ex quests.

After the original game content has been completed and the ToEE is defeated, the additional new content is unlocked, and you may travel to Verbobonc where new quests become available for high level play.

8. Blackened Halo

Blackened Halo Member

Hi,
    thanks for the reply. So, all the content which can be played after the "main" game is beaten is entirely new without any touch of cut content. How were quests and Verbobonc designed?

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well I designed the Moathouse Respawn - it was simply based around the idea that monsters would move in if it was cleared out. Nothing complex. I pictured an evil witch using the location as her lair then raising the bodies of the defeated bandits / gnolls / Larethites etc as undead, and creating / attracting some tougher undead that I included because they were fun to make and doable. Plus some critters found in the innards of the game, like the basilisk. PLUS more Werecreatures to make it worth the players while to invest in silver weapons (otherwise there is a whole 2 Were encounters in the Temple and that's it).

10. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

That's not accurate, you've left out quite a few things:

• Moathouse ambush - inspired by pnp module description of turuko
    • Masterwork item quests (e.g. giant's head for smyth)
    • Arena of Heroes - inspired by the colliseum map hidden in game files
    • Trader's Revenge - an addition by Livonya, very logical and well made IMO
    • Lareth jail breakout - ditto
    • A cure for Amii - additional quest by Livonya
    • Gnoll caravan attack - added consequence for letting gnolls go
    • Reactive Temple - based on pnp description of the Temple's reaction to an onslaught
    • Water Temple pool dispels fire magic - based on pnp description
    • Temple Harpy trap - based on famous pnp encounter, Troika themselves said in an interview they wished they'd implemented this
    • Temple encirclement scripting (Temple level 1 ogre near gnolls, ghouls near gelatinous cube, Temple lvl2 GT bugbears will come round the other side to pressure you)
    • Falrinth reinforcements - comes back with bugbear guards after fleeing
    • Temple level 4 electrical trap - loosely based on the pnp fungus curtain

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  11. Allyx

Yeah... and that other stuff... :rolleyes:

12. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

Didn't we have someone at Troika talking to us, in the early days? Not me, but I seem to remember someone having some e-mail discussions w/ someone from Troika either before the 1st patch, or the 2nd. Not sure how much help they provided, though, if any. I don't recall anything from them.

13. Allyx

I know at least one ex-Troika staff member was instrumental in @Agetian's work in making his World Builder tool, without which much of the new content would have taken many times longer to produce.

14. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

@Blackened Halo
    Beyond what was already said, my understanding is that post-Zuggy content was inspired by the ToEE tabletop modules and Greyhawk in general but was added because the devs felt like it.

15. Allyx

I think a lot of the new content was developed to test and advance and promote what was and is possible with ToEE modding rather than reproducing officially released modules, they were works of our own imaginations.

I know for me personally the Verbomod v1 as it became called was in development alongside Agetian's World Builder tool, and my work in creating it aided the World Builder's development just as WB development aided my ability to create the Verbomod.

I think @Shiningted and others at the time had similar experiences.

Moving the bulk of the new content to after the official game content was complete was a gargantuan task undertaken to address the game balance issues we modders introduced by adding the new content originally.

Our Host!