How to 'Flee Combat' in Temple of Elemental Evil?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by lazynomore52, Oct 13, 2020.

Remove all ads!
  1. lazynomore52

lazynomore52 Member

Hello. I've been playing TOEE for a while.
    However, I just couldn't figure out how to FLEE COMBAT in the game.

I've googled it myself, and they say "When you see blue ladder icon, you can flee combat"

However, even if I see blue ladder icon, it says flee combat is 'Invalid Action'.
    - This is me, playing TOEE. Tried to Flee Combat but couldn't.

How do I flee combat?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

It only works when you first go into a room. If you are still near the door - or ladder - and you get jumped on by monsters, you can 'flee combat' and go back out the door (or ladder).

That's my understanding, and it's worked for me. Never really need to use it, because it's not like anything surprises you any more ;)

3. lazynomore52

lazynomore52 Member

I just tried to do exactly same thing this person did:

However, he/she did manage to flee combat from the same situation of mine.

Furthermore, I've tested if I could flee combat in other locations, I could flee combat when I was in Temple Dungeon, but I couldn't when I was fighting in Welcome Wench Inn or Moathouse.

4. Shiningted

Well, could you give me a timestamp to look at it on the video? I'm not going to slog through 33 minutes but I'm happy to check it out if you can narrow it down.

Otherwise I suspect it is not going to work every time, there are probably dice rolls involved after all.

Anyone else know for sure how it works?

5. lazynomore52

lazynomore52 Member

Sorry, I forgot. about 12:30 is when he/she uses Flee Combat.

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Not sure if it's related, but there's definitely a dice roll involved - survival roll, dc 15 + highest enemy CR (including level).

Edit: it also won't work after loading a save apparently.

2nd edit: ok that one's on Temple+, we don't properly load the map flee data when loading saves. Oops! Will fix for next version.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    anatoliy likes this.
  7. Shiningted

Ok, I watched the video and I have NEVER seen a Flee Combat work like that. You learn something every day.

EDIT: By which I mean, never had it do anything after round 1. My understanding is you use it to flee combat at the very start of the fight, or not at all. That video shows otherwise, which surprises me.

8. lazynomore52

lazynomore52 Member

Oh, yes. Sorry, I forgot to mention. I've bought the game from GOG, and installed Co8 and installed Temple+. I think the other person used Co* only though.

Oh, that explains why I was able to Flee Combat at Temple Dungeon. Once I saw the enemy, I just ran away.

Our Host!