Community Feedback

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Jul 24, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

On that note, I've encountered a similar issue in py00545UnderDarkCat.py, line 8. I then did a file search with Notepad++ for " \t" and found a bunch more - you might wanna fix those, if you haven't already.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Interesting. I opened it and there is a tab-glitch in line 8 as you say - but the file still compiles. Heh. I'll 'fix' it, thanks.

3. Domingo

Domingo Member

comfirmed. Almost all the guards are missing now and I can't go outside the keep to the cemetary

4. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

Something must be happening in the cemetery - everyone's dying to get in there!

[​IMG]

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

;)

_doug_ likes this.
  6. Shiningted

Where is the vomit emoji?
    Okay, can you upload a save for me please? I'll need the latest save from your modules/ToEE/saves folder (there'll be six files with the same slot number in their names, sort by Date Modified and they will group up) plus all the relevant ToEEPC player files from your modules/ToEE/players folder.

This is intruiging :)

7. arius

arius Member

I'm really enjoying the KotB module, kudos to Ted and everyone else who contributed!

I seem to be having a lot of troubles with the Handle Animal skill. Pretty sure I'm using it right, read the KotB manual, so I'm not sure if this is a bug, WIP, or maybe something I've overlooked:

I'm a level 1 Druid using my wolf pet. If I talk to my pet and select:

Train your pet -----> train your pet to perform simple commands, the pet just sits there in combat unresponsive. It doesn't seem to matter whether I follow up and actually perform some specific training (successfully) such as attack unnatural targets - just the act of training it seems to render it a mindless zombie in combat. I've also tried training it to flank, hold until enemy approaches - still nothing , just sits there. I do get the feedback from the game that the AI script has been successfully modified.

EDIT: sorry this seems to only be an issue with unnatural targets, which constitute the majority of enemies in the game - lizardmen, spiders, goblins, undead, etc. but training the wolf to be able to attack unnatural targets does not seem to do improve things.

This is not game-breaking by any stretch, I'm just curious if there's a way to get this working as designed?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  8. Shiningted

'Unnatural' only means stuff like constructs, aberrations and undead, not standard monsters or vermin like you mentioned.

Interesting. Are you using Temple+ at all? Otherwise not sure what to say, I had feedback from players who were using it successfully.

9. arius

arius Member

Interesting, i thought unnatural meant things that don't occur on earth naturally, i.e., monsters included. So, yes something is really wrong here and not going as planned. I followed the installation instructions to the "T" per the KotB install guide made by Gaear EDIT: sorry I lied here, I installed to C:\Program Files\Atari, but this is a WinXP installation, could that possibly be it?.

I'm not running Temple+. Is that recommended or are you just curious for troubleshooting purposes? There is one thing I may have done slightly different than the average KotB go'er I suppose. I bought the base game of GoG. According to online rumours, the GoG version has had official Atari patches 1, 2 and 3 applied, thought I'm not sure how that fits into things. That's the only thing I can think of - I did everything Geaer said to do and used all the download links on that page. I'm also running the game on a WinXP Virtual Box so I'm using Java 7 update 76 because it's the only version of that vintage I could find from majorgeeks.com.... could that be it?

Most of my fights to this point have been random encounters, the first undead fight in the sewer and the spider forest - all of which have resulted my wolf companion motionless. The one example where wolf actually jumps into action is the Northern Oak woods (right when I arrive, first fight). The enemies are all human, which is why I thought there was limited functionality with natural targets.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  10. Shiningted

I asked for troubleshooting purposes - Temple+ intoducing a bug was a long shot but otherwise I am not sure why it is happening.
    KotB should work on any computer that can run ToEE, and indeed was (mostly) made in Win98 in part to make sure that held true. So let's hope that's not it - but the Animal Handling stuff is all straight Python scripting, no reason it wouldn't work in XP.

Could you send a save game? I'll need all the files associated with the save (there's 6 of them) in modules/ToEE/saves, and the PC files from modules/ToEE/players.

11. arius

arius Member

Sure, no problem, here's my save. Hopefully I did this right and you got all of the right files for the save. I did a few more tests to check for repeatability and the wolf AI seems to work really well for the Northern Oak Woods first encounter (i set him to flank), but definitely not in random encounters or for the spider forest fights. In that save I had already cleared most of the spider forest but if it helps I might be able to find an earlier save where I had not.

Attached Files:

12. Shiningted

Ok thanks, I'll try to get to the bottom of this tonight :)

13. arius

arius Member

Sounds great! I really like what was done in the KotB with the animal companion and didn't realize how much more complex training them was per the 3.5e SRD. KotB is so much more true to the SRD, so hats off again to the KotB team for these incredible design features :)

FYI I was so early in the game I restarted and opted not to take a Druid. Had little to do with the animal companion issue, but more to do with my epiphany that I could get a barkskin/natural armor amulet crafter by simply making an elf/halfelf Cleric with Ehlonna diety and the plant domain (one domain spell is barkskin). To boot you even get one cast of entangle , which is really all you need for any fight - making it even harder to justify taking a Druid. I've played the original ToEE twice (once with Co8 modpack) and always took a Druid for this purpose. Tit for tat I really think a good old cleric beats them in almost every way , except that the nature skills are all cross-class of course.

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

ToEE happily boasts 2 Druid recruitible NPC's, for all your Barkskin and Magic Fang needs, KotB not so much, there is however a shady looking guy who hangs out in cemeteries

arius likes this.
  15. Shiningted

I'll have you know KotB also boasts 2 Druid recruitable NPCs, both called Lorin!

Our Host!