temporary negative level malus

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by spud69, Aug 13, 2020.

Remove all ads!
  1. spud69

spud69 Member

hi all.

I am new to toee but after playing vanilla a few time and have the game crash several times, I updated to the toee modpack latest version and started from scratch. Loving the new content, but have hit a few issues that I cannot find a solution for.

My cleric (lvl 10) has just tried crafting the masterwork glaive for my fighter with +1, 2, 3 and axiomatic, holy damage. although he gets a +3 primary attack from the glaive, he also gets a -1 "temporary negative level - item : masterwork glaive +1+2+3 holy axiomatic".

I don't understand why I get the +3, then -1 to nett out at +2 attack?

cheers.

2. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

You get a base of +3 from the enchantment of +3 then a -1 mod due to alignment for calculating the effective mod on your attack. What's your fighters alignment?

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Unrelated - try not to let the game make such long names when crafting, beyond a certain point it will crash the game. Change the name to "Holy Glaive" or something shorter.

4. spud69

spud69 Member

Will rename it, just testing a few combo's from my house in Nulb.

The fighter is chaotic good so I didn't know there might be an alignment problem.

The priest doing the crafting is Lawful Good.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Chaotic is the opposite of axiomatic ;) Just give him Scather.

6. spud69

spud69 Member

aaahhhhhh. Found it on another thread. It's my first party so hadn't considered the potential for alignment clashes like this. And haven't received scather yet.... will have to rest up for a long while and wait for the princes envoy to appear.

Axiomatic: An axiomatic weapon is lawfully aligned and infused with the power of law. It makes the weapon law-aligned and thus bypasses the corresponding damage reduction. It deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against all of chaotic alignment. It bestows one negative level on any chaotic creature attempting to wield it. The negative level remains as long as the weapon is in hand and disappears when the weapon is no longer wielded. This negative level never results in actual level loss, but it cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the weapon is wielded. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the lawful power upon their ammunition.
    Moderate evocation [lawful]; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, order’s wrath, creator must be lawful; Price +2 bonus.

Our Host!