Suggestion: ToEE-in-EET (Temple of Elemental Evil in Enhanced Edition Trilogy)

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Endarire, Jul 30, 2020.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Intro
    Greetings, all!

ToEE has been a somewhat obscure PC RPG. Yes, we in this community are expected to know about it. Many of us have been part of this community for 10+ years! (ToEE was released about 17 years ago! Wow!) It would be great - at least in my opinion - if ToEE got the sort of exposure that Baldur's Gate did. (Many people, including me, expected ToEE to be as epic and expansive as BG.)

Thus, I propose this solution: ToEE-in-EET!

What's EET?
    EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) is a Baldur's Gate series mod which combines the enhanced editions of BG1 and its expansion Siege of Dragonspear as well as BG2 into a single world and platform for players and modders. EET allows players to start at the start of BG1EE and finish BG2EE with the same main character or custom party like in the original games, but you can normally freely travel to any overworld location you have available. Maybe you're in BG2 and figure you want to stomp some foes easily in BG1's areas. With EET, that's doable.

Plenty of other mods are available that add quests, NPCs, areas, dialog, items, and more!

ToEE-in-EET
    ToEE-in-EET would add ToEE's main quest (and possibly Co8 new content) to the Infinity Engine. ToEE's content would be converted to EET's standards which rely on a modified version of AD&D 2e's rules. Many creatures and items from ToEE are already in EET, meaning much of that work is already done.

What needs doing then are primarily these:
    -ToEE-exclusive creatures, such as Lamia, Bodak, Zuggy, fungi, Will-o-Wisps, and the NPCs (Zert, Ronald, etc.) These would need conversions to AD&D 2e rules.

-ToEE-exclusive items need conversion. I'm unsure how best to handle the Golden Skull since that could be very powerful!

-Quests need porting/adapting to BG's engine. There are no social skills, for example, but ability score checks like CHA checks could suffice.

-How do PCs reach this area from Faerun and how do PCs return to Faerun from this area? Assumedly, there would be a portal near the start of BG1 that leads to Hommlet or the vignettes.

Thus...
    What say you?

I mentioned this because seemingly no one else in the BG nor Co8 modding communities was talking about this and it seemed worth doing.

If you want technical help, ask the people on the Gibberlings3 forums.

An Aside
    Icewind Dale-in-EET is being worked on to add IWD 1 & 2 to EET!

2. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

No offense but this sounds strictly like a downgrade to put something as great as ToEE into the infinity engine. The reason ToEE is so good is because it is 3.5 and turn based, which seem to be antithesis to BG. I'm much more interested in projects like converting IWD into a module playable in ToEE, than the opposite direction.

3. Ludget

Ludget Member

I agree. The turn based combat system is a lot better than BGs. And I don't like going back to AD&D where there are no sorcerers and bardic magic is treated like wizard magic.

anatoliy likes this.
  4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Does BG have bugbears? I actually can't think of any. It has goblins, kobolds and gnolls in large numbers, but I can't picture a bugbear.

Anyway, to mod this requires Infinity engine modders. You would have more luck on a BG board, Endarire.

anatoliy likes this.
  5. Endarire

@Shiningted
    Siege of Dragonspear has Bugbears and Hill Giants. BG2 has Shamblers. No Wisps that I've found.

6. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

It has been quite a number of years since I've played BG and BGII.

I am not a fan of the combat system, but I do like the ability to set traps, find traps and disarm traps.

7. Endarire

A significant reason why I proposed this was because of the seeming overlap in interest and ability between the Co8/ToEE and Infinity Engine communities.

BG is based on D&D 2e and could work for ToEE. It's a different system meant for generally faster fights.

Also, porting ToEE to BG means multiplayer! Alleluia!

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The traps were a great element - the pathfinding, that would blunder you through traps that you knew were there even though you were trying to go a different way, was not.
    Then make it. Who is stopping you?

I realise its a dauting task, to make such a thing all by yourself, but many creatures and items from ToEE are already in EET, meaning much of that work is already done. And if you need any technical help, you can always ask the people on the Gibberlings3 forums.

If it will help, I'll ask you, "it it done yet?" every day until it's finished.

Allyx likes this.
  9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I've never wanted a dislike button more than I do right now... :mad:

anatoliy and _doug_ like this.
  10. Endarire

@Allyx
    I can imagine being your spouse, seeing you come home with that expression and phrase and saying, "Did you have a bad day, hon? Do you want some coffee? Tea? Pizza? A back rub? A belly rub? A hug? Take a deep breath, hon. You'll feel better."

11. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I do! She does! And no I don't feel better.

Our Host!