Falsely Accussed of Impersonating a Member of the Keep

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by florian1, Jul 10, 2020.

Remove all ads!
  1. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I my current playthrough of KotB, my party has been accused of using disguise to impersonate some sort of official Keep person. The thing is, no attempt was ever made by the party.

Is this supposed to be a random arrest? Or could it be that using temple+ with KotB is messing things up a bit?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

No and no. What is happening is this:

You are wearing some sort of guardsman's armour - carrying a shield you found in the Caves, or a cape you had made by calling in some favours, or a guardsman's chainmail with tabbard that you filched from a tower, or something that marks you as a Guardsman. The most probable culprit is full plate armour. This is worn by the cavalry, and it is a bug that it gets picked up the way that it does (because full plate, by itself, should not in any way suggest you are trying to pull off a disguise). I think this is fixed for 2.0 but I wil certainly test it since many people have picked it up.

Now, the script by itself distinguishes between you having, say, a single piece of gear - carrying a shield or wearing a cape - and making some sort of attempt at dressing as a guard. If you are just carrying a single piece of gear, you will be castigated for this and may have to pay a fine if you can't talk your way out of it, but this is different to actually trying to impersonate a guardsman. But it sounds like the script is satisfied you were making the attempt (even if you didn't mean to). In that case, you must have had the bulk ofthe uniform. This may have been inadvertant, because some of the uniform, like the full plate, is just standard issue gear: plate boots and gloves, or chain boots and gloves, for instance. So if you have found a chain hauberk and put it on for protection, and you also have chain or plate boots and gloves for any reason, and the sidearm (no I am not saying what the sidearm is, you learn that in game) you may get a question like, "Guardsman, where is your cape?" And then you can bluff your way through if good enough. (I forget where you use the Disguise skill and where you use Bluff, I can look it up if you need me to). Fail and you end up in the predicament you are in.

So - the PC in question (which may be whoever is in the party that has a Guardsman's shield, or chainmail, or cape, or the blue studded leather) - what was he wearing?

3. florian1

florian1 Established Member

The only equipment from the list you mentioned would have been Full Plate Armor.

4. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

I've ran into this due to the full plate armor.

I don't recall if there was a way to get out of jail, or if it was basically game over :oops:

5. Shiningted

If you stand by the door of the gaol, in a spot where you can see lots (move around a little, or have several characters in different places) you will eventually see the head gaoler come along and you can speak to him (click on him a few times if you have to). He will tell you your crime and punishment, and even trade with you if you have no cash on you. If you are unwilling or unable to pay the fine, I guess it's game over, ya.

6. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

Yeah, it was a quite a while ago, but this rings a bell as to why I couldn't get out.

So it was a reload from before I was busted by the guard.

7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Dirty cops are EVERYWHERE!

8. Shiningted

Yes they are. But you shouldn't judge the whole of a group - any group - by its worst members.

anatoliy likes this.
Our Host!