Cormyr - new module development [video]

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by anatoliy, Mar 10, 2020.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Very nice, Azmodeus :)

(There's a phrase I never thought I would say).

Allyx likes this.
  2. Azmodeous

Azmodeous Member

I wouldn't mind dedicating some time to work on the Return to the Temple of Evil. It's been a while since I've looked at the module, but presumably, you could reuse a lot of the art from the Temple of Elemental Evil. I can look at the new areas first. I did have a question on the best way to build maps for the TOEE engine. I kept everything as separate objects in the scene I built in the blender. However, the render produces a single image. Based on the conversation about .dag files, would it be better to render the 3D objects separately as their own images and then place them on the map in TOEE world builder (if it can even do that)?

anatoliy likes this.
  3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

3d objects (chests, doors, scenery objects like trees and bushes) can all be added in WorldEd, some objects will require .dag files if the objects location or setting requires the 3d object's art to be obscured from vision entirely (EG a drawer in a dressing table will only have the front panel visible when closed) or if a PC or Monster could feasibly walk behind the object.

Many of the existing ToEE .dag files can be reused, WorldEd allows manipulation of the .dag objects - they can be stretched and squashed in all directions, rotated and have the z axis height manipulated as required, but custom .dag files would just fit better.

anatoliy likes this.
  4. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

This is great news @Azmodeous ! :)

If you look into the RtToEE it has first maps from the ToEE:
    • Hommlet, can be reused fully;
    • Nulb
    • Moathouse
    • Moathouse Dungeon
    • Temple exterior;
    • Temple Tower;
    • Temple interior;
    New maps would be for the Temple of All-Consumption
    • 12 maps of outer circle (see the pic in pdf), called A-L. They have 231 encounters in total.
    • Recovered Temple (upper)
    • Recovered Temple (lower)
    • The Outer Fane
    • Fire Node
    I recommend buying the module in good version pdf on www.drivethrurpg.com. It's $8.99 now.

I also recommend starting from Temple of All-Consumption, Map A. And not from already existing maps.

The reason for that is - old maps would need to be cleared out from obsolete objects (via programming), and perhaps replaced by new ones. Also reviewed and re-thought. Especially Hommlet.

It is somewhat tedious work, and could demotivate quite quickly. But new, from the scratch map creation on the contrary, would inspire and give huge motivation :)

Allyx likes this.
  5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hey Anatoliy, what do you mean by this? What 'objects'? Generally speaking objects and map files (especially artwork and dags) are stored quite seperately, very few objects are embedded in the sectors themselves and even these are easy to remove with WorldEd.

As mentioned I can't commit to a huge TC like RttToEE but I can certainly delete some doors and such if it will save you completely remaking the maps :)

anatoliy likes this.
  6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

FYI you can swap the module name so it doesn't look for objects in modules/toee.

anatoliy likes this.
  7. anatoliy

I'll try doing that. But I meant to copy maps, not mess with existing.

8. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Having played Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, I recall Hommlet's map being different/expanded compared to the original.

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I believe the castle was finished, for one thing at least.

10. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Our party did more in Verbobonc in RttToEE.

11. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Just thinking on how new modules are played in ToEE; Do these new ones require the entire game to be swapped out for them similar to how KotB interacts with ToEE? It's probably a pipe dream but it's on my far future wishlist to be able to have any/all custom modules in ToEE simultaneously existing so that you can choose which one you want from the shop map or main menu. I can imagine the DLL would make this a very difficult refactor if it is even possible.

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

For the Cormyr mod specifically that is how it works because it has been designed to have multiple small modules coexisting simultaneously in the same module.

KoTB, IWD and Cormyr(?) modules reuse the original ToEE map numbers, edited and/or replaced Protos.tab lines, reused script.py numbers etc... it would require a lot of work to make all the modules coexist in one module at this point.

anatoliy likes this.
  13. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

14. anatoliy

Shiningted's playtesting lead to bugfixing stage last week. So last dungeon went suspended. It's only 30% done, so more time is needed.

Release moved to end of August.

15. anatoliy

Taking into account that the Adventure is combat heavy, and quite hard some places the City will need to sell appropriate items, based on PC level.

So what I, and probably players, would be willing to buy on level 2:
    * Wands like Magic Missle, Cure Light Wounds and Inflict Light Wounds. Meaning first level wands.
    * Masterwork Armor AND Magic Armor +1. See PHB II for reasoning.
    * Masterwork Weapon, and no magic weapon;

Level 3:
    * Wands 2nd level;

Level 4 should give access to:
    * Magic items like Braces and Amulets;

Level 5 access to;
    * Magic Weapon;
    * Wands 3nd level;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!