Temple+ Modding Question

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by _doug_, Feb 21, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Hmmm, you could check if the python args object has a copy method.

2. deus-misereatur

deus-misereatur Member

Hi! I was wondering if it were possible to stat up an NPC (through the protos.tab) to use one of Temple+'s new/prestige classes.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, should my Googling skills let me down.

Thanks!

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

First post after 6 years, awesome! :)

4. Sitra Achara

No, the protos parser doesn't support them. Are you trying to make/alter a recruitable NPC that uses them?
    You could try the DM to edit the stats in-game.

5. deus-misereatur

deus-misereatur Member

I expected as much.

Yeah, I wanted to make Fruella a Swashbuckler so I just ended up DMing it on her. Just wanted a more 'natural' way, I guess. Still, really enjoying Temple+ in general. Loving all the extra stuff as well as ease of tweaking whatever nonsense I want. Thanks!

EDITED:

Hi again! Just wanted to ask if there's any way the class order during the character creation/level up UI menu can be rearranged without having to recompile Temple+ and if there's any serious repercussions should one does so.
    It just tickles my OCD-ness that some base classes come after the prestige classes.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  6. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Happy happy day, I was expecting to have to go the long-haul and need to refactor something in engine or find an obscure flag/event combination in order to implement unavoidable strike over the next day or two, and on a hunch it turns out that all you need to do is make a hook for OnToHitBonus2 and add D20CAF_TOUCH_ATTACK to the attack packet flags, and the engine takes care of the rest to treat the ongoing attack as a touch attack in terms of subtracting armor, natural armor, and shield bonuses to AC of the defender. It just works perfectly and even updates the roll history to show the touch attack! Hopefully this is useful for someone, so you don't have to go through tons of work like I almost did.
    Also, since OnToHitBonus2 is used as a hook for just checking the weapon to hit in inventory in addition to checking for an attack, if you want to hook to it and execute code only when an attack is occurring (not just when you're sitting there looking at primary in inventory), do the following;
    Code:
    l_actionType = int(evt_obj.attack_packet.action_type)
    l_attackFlags = evt_obj.attack_packet.get_flags()
    # Only if this to hit call is for a final attack roll, and not trip (trip does no damage)
    if (l_actionType != D20A_TRIP) and (l_attackFlags & D20CAF_FINAL_ATTACK_ROLL):
    I have two questions on rules if anyone can interpret the ruleset for me;
    1) When attacking a character with the "helpless" condition, engine subtracts 5 AC from that char. The description of helpless states: "A helpless character takes a -4 penalty to AC against melee attacks, but no penalty to AC against ranged attacks. A helpless defender can't use any Dexterity bonus to AC. In fact, his Dexterity score is treated as if it were 0 and his Dexterity modifier to AC as if it were -5 (and a rogue can sneak attack him)."
    Q: So which is it? Does the helpless character take -4 or -5 to AC? The game uses -5 when I attacked, so what is up? Is the game wrong? Is the help description wrong? Or does the first part mean something else that I'm not understanding?

I figured this first one out. The in game description is incorrect. What it should instead say is along the lines of; the attacker against a helpless character gains a +4 bonus to-hit, in addition to the helpless character defending taking a -5 penalty to AC. The overall difference between an attacker and defender when the defender is helpless is 9 to-hit points. Helpless is no joke!

2) In order to determine if my character's attack was an unarmed or natural attack, I checked two things. I checked the weapon used for the attack in the hook, to see if it was OBJ_HANDLE_NULL, and I also checked (if it wasn't null) if the weapon type was wt_unarmed_strike_medium_sized_being or wt_unarmed_strike_small_being. In every test case I performed, my character's attack was being registered as with OBJ_HANDLE_NULL, and the weapon types never came up as a result.
    Q: What weapons count as unarmed strike medium/small being weapon types? Every unarmed attack seems to just register as no weapon.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  7. Shiningted

I may have an issue with Temple+'s handling of sneak attacks.

I have a thief and he is just not getting his ranged sneak attacks. He's hitting flatfooted enemies at close range and getting nothing.

See pic: the thief is the guy with the red arrow pointing at him (obviously).
    Sneak attack.png

8. _doug_

_doug_ Established Member

That is bad. I should have some time to see if I can reproduce it tonight.

anatoliy likes this.
  9. Shiningted

Thanks Doug. Sneak attacks in melee still work fine.

10. _doug_

_doug_ Established Member

Sadly I can't reproduce it easily. I am able to sneak attack with a bow against a flatfooted enemy. Does this happen in the TOEE module or just the module you are working on?

11. Shiningted

Well I've only played Anatoliy's stuff with Temple+

Look, don't worry about it Doug. I'll try to replicate it with Anatoliy's mod in my next playthrough but I doubt it is a consistent problem in Temple+, someone would have surely mentioned it.

anatoliy likes this.
  12. Sitra Achara

Could it be related to them being hidden?

13. Shiningted

Yeah, possibly, a few NPCs are in this mod, though it doesn't say so here.

14. Shiningted

Ok, I have an unfortunate update. Sneak attack for my rogue does not work at all. When I said, "Sneak attacks in melee still work fine" I was actually referencing being sneak-attacked by enemies - that's happened twice. But my rogue, whether sniping the flat-footed or flanking first-level fighters, gets nothing. And being hidden doesn't seem to be an issue either.

I realise you probably can't do much until you get your hands on Anatoliy's mod to test, but there you go. I will roll up a different rogue and see what happens.

15. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

@Shiningted, please be aware, that my mod messes with sneak attack a bit.

Let me investigate it first. Probably it's not T+ issue.

Our Host!