What skill determines your success rate on skin an animal?

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by biobaba, Mar 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. biobaba

biobaba Member

Is the chance skin a wolf based on certain skills? or it is just pure luck?

Also I am a bit curiouse to know what is the use of dragon scale and liver

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

According to the KotB readme, the Survival skill determines how successful you will be removing skins and the dragon liver (or gall bladder or whatever it is.)

You can get the dragon scale made into a suit of armor, but I was kinda disappointed that it didn't match the dragon hide armor you see but can't afford when you visit the shopmap at the beginning of the game.

The gall bladder I believe will have a purpose in the final version of the game, but AFAIK it doesn't have a use right now - other than to douse you with acid if you fail your check when removing it.

[Edit] - I win, yea!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  3. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Your survival rank + wisdom modifier + miscellaneous modifiers (such as having a certain flower) determine you chance of skinning animals, or removing the dragon's gall bladder.

The dragon hide can be transformed into armor... take it to the blacksmith and he'll explain.

The bladder serves no purpose, at least in the demo...

[Edit: Erkper beat me to it.]

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Crikey, we've got ninjas! :ninja:

Au contraire on the flower - it is only for Wild Empathy, not a cross-the-board Survival bonus (unless I am really seriously mistaken). There is a seperate item to give you a bonus to skinning things, the Poacher's Knife. I don't think you can find it in the game atm though (its in the innards though).

Otherwise you guys were spot on. The dragon armour differs from the earlier suit because a young black only provides enough scales for hide armour (RAW). And its black so you get the acid-resistance. :)

The gall bladder contains bile: Dragon Bile is a classic D&D poison. That will become important later in the game.

5. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

A courious thing I notced; if you leave the dead wold to dissapear, the hide remains but you still need the check to pick it up, dispite it no longer being attached to the corpse.

6. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Heheh... well at least it prevents you from exploiting the bug. :p

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Maybe there should be a skill-check modifier for looting a rotting corpse.

8. Shiningted

Heh, thats an interesting one. Just sitting here right now, not sure how to fix that. I'll think of something :)

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Maybe we should leave it as it is. I think that as a corpse disintegrates, it would get easier to skin, but it would be more (very) likely that the hide would be ruined.

10. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Actually, you can't skin a rotten or decomposing corpse, since the fur it's rotting too (more accurately, the skin that holds the hair, and the many sub cutaneous layers).

But i agree with GA 82, leave as it is...it could be explained as "your skill on saving what's left of the fur" :shrug:

the other way could change how it works: there's no skin on a wolf, but when you make a succesful survival check, the script would spawn the skin in the character inventory or something like that. But that implies a lot of work and many other troubles...

11. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

you could just make it so that the hide dissapears when the corpse does, if you can do that sort of thing.

12. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Regarding skinning animals, if you put the successful skins into the Ox Saddle, then you have to make another check again when you take them out. I lost a few skins that way. Now I just make the PCs carry the hides.

13. Shiningted

Yeah, that's a bug. Oops!

14. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

No, that isn't a bug. That is another "check" that prevents the Ox from eating them :rolleyes:

Our Host!