Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter Thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Endarire, Feb 12, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Greetings, all!

EDIT
    KNIGHTS OF THE CHALICE 2 finally has a Kickstarter publicly available after more than a year of waiting! Fund, fund, fund!

ORIGINAL POST
    KotC2 has a Kickstarter! As of this writing (Feb 12, 2019) it isn't yet live, but it'll be soon enough!

The game's author kindly explained what Knights of the Chalice 2 is(n't).

The Knights of the Chalice series is a turn-based adaptation of the Open Gaming License (OGL) rules for D&D 3.5. The first KotC stuck fairly close the the rules as written, but KotC2 seems more interested in adapting and expanding them for the sake of a better game.

I've already offered the author extensive feedback regarding many aspects of the game, some of which is slated to be in the final release.

As an aside, Knights of the Chalice is soon scheduled to arrive on Steam, GOG, and possibly other PC gaming platforms!

Enjoy!

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    anatoliy and GuardianAngel82 like this.
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Sooooo many of my hours have been consumed by KotC.

Looking forward to finally seeing KotC2. :)

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I never got past the demo for various reasons, but I was always surprised there were never more games like this (based on the d20 OGL). This is great news.
    "This game needs a cleric who uses a longbow and hates Orcs!"

EDIT: Ahhh, still no skills.... pity. But it's designed to be moddable? I like that :)

2nd EDIT: No, wait, there is a skill set. Nothing about assigning points though... hmmm...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  4. Endarire

To my knowledge, each class gets a specific set of skills. Classes may have overlapping skills. It isn't 3.x style.

@Ted: Thankee for the Ronald reference!

5. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I almost made a thread before I saw this one.
    Update: Pierre has announced May 26th he will open the kickstarter. The 64 pound tier is the one that includes all 3 modules on top of the base game module that is already finished, so probably the best one to get if you really are into this kind of thing.

Maybe I'm too hopeful but I think that there is potential for KotC2 to be the spiritual successor to ToEE. I mean this in the sense that I see ToEE as the most perfect D&D 3.5 ruleset simulator that exists. No other game comes close to faithfulness and fullness of implementing a D&D ruleset into a computer game. KotC1 was lacking in the fullness of the implementation - it only had 3 classes. KotC2 on the other hand - while OGL and not official 3.5 - is very close to 3.5 and looks to have an even greater implementation than ToEE does. More classes, more races, more feats, more spells, etc and done in a manner that is faithful to the ruleset like ToEE. By this merit alone I wouldn't consider it superior to ToEE - particularly with the bells and whistles of ToEE being nicer to look at - but KotC2 will ship with an integrated toolset for module creation, and given the simple token graphics of the game and large depth/breadth of the ruleset, could be the holy grail that ToEE modders strived for but could never truly accomplish. (Sitra and company gave a great gift to this game of FREEDOM in the ability for anyone to - with relatively fair learning curve - create their own mods to add/change to the game's ruleset through temple plus, but creating full blown adventure modules is a herculean task.)

I'm hopeful for it, the kickstarter definitely needs to hit 15000 for the 3 new modules.

anatoliy likes this.
  6. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

Love the game. I even noted some ideas which could be brought on into my mods.

For example:
    * Hide doors.
    * Show NPC stats!
    * Probability indicators :)
    * Explicit effects - When let’s say Prayer is cast, each affected creature is explicitly highlighted one by one and effect sounds with success \ failure indicator. Not simply floating text that disappears quickly.
    * Spontaneous Wizard and Cleric.

7. Endarire

And spontaneous Druid! (All KotC casters are spontaneous.)

8. Endarire

Kickstarter is publicly available!

9. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Day 1 of 37 and he is already 13k/18k goal. The important stretch goal of 15k for the 3 modules is all but guaranteed. I'd like to see the 55k goal reached for the summoner and necromancer classes just to add to replayability but the game already has around 20 classes so it probably will be fine regardless.

Didn't expect the funding to happen so fast though for the initial kickstarter goal. The people have spoken and the people want games like ToEE :cool:

anatoliy and _doug_ like this.
  10. Endarire

I already funded this at the 3 module level. The intent is to reach the 96 hour goal of 50K Euros for extra material!

Our Host!