[zmod] New magic item - Knowstone

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by anatoliy, Mar 18, 2020.

Remove all ads!
Tags:
  1. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

Hi

I've created new magic item Knowstone, Dungeon #333, p93.
    [​IMG]

How it looks in a game:
    [​IMG]

Sources:
    Code:
    https://github.com/anatoliy-savchak/ToEE.Cormyr/blob/dev/data/rules/protos/obj_t_generic_12707_knowstone_fireball.tab
    https://github.com/anatoliy-savchak/ToEE.Cormyr/blob/dev/data/mes/description/obj_t_generic_12707_knowstone_fireball.mes
    https://github.com/anatoliy-savchak/ToEE.Cormyr/blob/dev/data/scr/py05000_knowstone.py

It's quite useful for Sorcerers and Bards. Although a bit costly.

Please let me know if I should create more spell Knowstones.

Pygmy and florian1 like this.
  2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Intriguing. Would I be right in thinking that you use Co8 alone without Temple plus? Is the mechanistic condition to use these items that the caster must be a spontaneous arcane spell-caster of sufficient level to cast the associated spell? Or have you written the knowstone in such a way to prevent 8th level beguilers casting stoneskin, for example?

3. anatoliy

All [zmod] mods will be TemplePlus only. ToEE vanilla is too buggy, I've seen decompiled sources.

Knowstone is configured in proto by adding spell lines, like this: 'Fireball' class_sorcerer 3
    But let's say we want to create Knowstone of Charm Person, then we'll need to have such lines:
    'Charm Person' class_sorcerer 1
    'Charm Person' class_bard 1
    'Charm Person' class_beguiler 1

Algorithm in event san_insert_item from py05000_knowstone.py will go through all of these spell records and try to add spell, break on success.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately SpellKnownRemove is not exposed to Python API, so the Knowstone will not remove it.

4. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Alleluia! This is a good start.

Though, by RAW to my understanding, Knowstones are slotless and require no inventory space. Perhaps have it as a craftable consumable that teaches its user (if of the right class) the appropriate spell. Knowstones are also priced as Pearls of Power of the same spell level. (Expensive components still raise the price of Knowstones appropriately, unlike Pearls of Power.)

And, yes, I'm very pro-Knowstone of every spell! Sors, Bards, Favored Souls, and spontaneous casters need more love!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Shouldn't there be a cost factor for being slotless?

6. anatoliy

ToEE Knowstone is not as in Dragon version. Two differences:
    1. Knowstone cannot be unlearned in current ToEE T+ implementation. SpellKnownRemove function is not exposed in ToEE T+.
    2. Knowstone should have attune stage, which I had not implemented.
    I could edit Temple Plus, expose new Python function like obj.spell_known_remove. But it would require approval from @Sitra Achara or @DarkStorm, or both. Testing and then publishing new version of T+ by Sitra. It would take too much effort I think.

Therefore Knowstone should be altered, not to be OP.

I say make it usable item. Once used, it destroys itself.

7. Rana271

Rana271 Member

Temple Plus is good, but I can't alter the screen resolution as in Co8 NC and TOEE vanilla via options. So I can't play Temple Plus.

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

You can alter the screen resolution in Temple+ by opening the Temple+config.exe file and choosing the appropriate options.

9. Rana271

Rana271 Member

It limits the options though, it is preset at x32 if I recall and my screen is stretched with small graphics. I can't adjust like in Co8 NC.

10. anatoliy

Dude, have you tried Run in Window Mode and Maximize window?)) It works just as you requested.

Rana271 likes this.
  11. Rana271

Rana271 Member

I have never used windows mode before. Just standard screen. Will try it..fingers crossed.;)

12. Endarire

@anatoliy
    Was this mod publicly released? If so, how do we get it? If not, how do we get it?

Thankee!

13. anatoliy

I don't see how Knowstone could be useful in the toee module. Troikas ToEE is low gold adventure, and Knowstones are quite costly.

I don't see necessity to introduce it there. In other modules, where Player has lots of cash it indeed would be nice to have.

So currently Knowstones are in R&D stage, not fully completed.

14. Endarire

Knowstones are useful because, regardless of their cost, they allow spontaneous casters to know more spells, and, thus, overcome one of their biggest weaknesses.

I know ToEE by default isn't a 10 million G adventure, but having duoed it twice, we still spent tens or hundreds of thousands of G on crafted gear for our party over the course of the game, and 4% of that in EXP. The crafted gear was simply the best in the game.

Our Host!