Tutorial: Adding an Image to a Post Using Uploads to co8.org

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Gaear, Sep 7, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

People really seem to struggle with this for some reason, so here's a step-by-step tutorial on how to add an image to a post without using any outside file hosting services. The forum software at co8.org allows you to upload up to 10 images to any post, with a size limit of 200 kb per image. That's comparatively huge and generous when you consider most other sites allow something like one 26kb image to posters who've been there for 6 years and have 20,000 posts.

• Significant note: you can place your image(s) anywhere in your post by using the attachments function in the post editor. It looks like a little paper clip. We'll demonstrate how below, but that's the magic button.

imagetut01.jpg

• First, compose your post. In my example post, I've written a few paragraphs so we can see how the images will fit in. Have a look:

imagetut02.jpg

• But that's not good enough. I want to punctuate my post with pictures. To do this, scroll down until you see the Additional Options area, and note the 'Manage Attachments' button in the Attach Files section.

imagetut03.jpg

• Click the button and this box opens:

imagetut04.jpg

• We can see that there are ten boxes to upload files from our computer. Or if we wanted to, we could upload from a URL (website address), or mix and match both. If we scroll that box down, we see all the attachment types the forum software supports, which include the image formats .gif, .jpg, and .png. .gifs are usually those animated things; .jpgs and .pngs are very common and heavily compressed image formats that are easy to handle, usually small in size, and display easily. Most people use .jpgs.

Let's select an image file to upload. I'm going to assume we're uploading from our computer as opposed to a URL, so we scroll up and click a 'Choose File' button:

imagetut06.jpg

• This will open up a Windows Explorer interface where you go look for the picture you want to upload. You select it, click 'Open,' and you'll be returned to the manage attachments interface. Note I have an image name listed now in the first box. Simply click the Upload button and the files(s) will be uploaded to the forum software. Then X out the attachments box or click the 'Close this window' button.

imagetut07.jpg

• We're back at our post now, but I want to put those pictures I just uploaded between the paragraphs to demonstrate what I'm talking about. To do that, we click the attachments button in the post editor as mentioned at the beginning. Place your cursor where you want the image to go as illustrated below, then click the paper clip.

imagetut08.jpg

• When we do that, a list of the images we've uploaded will appear. I upoaded three, and you can see them listed like so:

imagetut09.jpg

• I'm going to select imagetut01.jpg to go between my first and second paragraphs, imagetut02.jpg to go between my second and third paragraphs, and imagetut03.jpg to go between my third and fourth paragraphs. It will end up looking like this in the post editor:

imagetut10.jpg

• The image name changes to a number for forum software archiving, but it doesn't matter.

The end result is this:

imagetut11.jpg

You can see that the forum software automatically makes a thumbnail out of each image. This makes it convenient for people who don't want to see every image to not have to download them at full size. You simply click the image and it displays at its full size in a nifty new window. This method also makes it so that you don't have all your attachments appearing at the bottom of your posts in an attachments list, which looks cludgy. When you insert an image via a URL it does that, even if you position the image where you want it in your post, effectively displaying the image twice. Note that this happens even if the URL points back to an image hosted at co8.org. The method outlined above is the way to go.

Hope this helps. :)

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

gazra, the user clicks the image to get a bigger version. That's the way it works here, like I described above, and I see no reason that should be unsatisfactory to you. Please use that method.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sorry for the threadromancy but just checking this still works... AdobeStock_288518832_Preview.jpeg

Ok, you use the 'upload a file' button nowadays and can decide if to show a full image or a thumbnail :)

Our Host!