Just started Keep on the Borderlands

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Menen, Nov 3, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. Menen

Menen Member

I just got around to playing Keep on the Borderlands, and I love the way followers work. Great inclusion.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Glad you like it :) But could you elaborate? The recruitable NPCs aren't that different to ToEE.

3. Menen

Menen Member

I'm talking specifically about the followers as opposed to the NPCs that join you and get a profile picture on the bottom row of the screen.

The mercenaries. The attack dog. Etc.

In ToEE, those slots get filled by controlled skeletons or charmed or summoned creatures. I really like the way KoTB expands on that by allowing the direct hire of mercenaries.

4. Menen

Menen Member

Couple of thoughts,

1. in another thread, you were asking if someone came across the drunks in the pub. I can't find that thread, but yes, I encountered the drunks. I didn't note all of the dialogue options, but it started with one of them essentially accusing me or asking me if I had killed his brother. I tried to respond in a polite manner, something like I'm not sure what you're talking about or there's been some kind of mistake here. Didn't matter. The drunks started boxing me. Fisticuffs. After I knocked them all out, I searched them and took the little bit of change they had on them. I left their clothes and such, but I figured I'd take their coins for causing me trouble when I was trying to be nice.

2. while I really like hiring the mercenaries as followers, I do find them a little expensive. Five gold a fight adds up. It's probably not possible, but I found myself thinking it would add to the verisimilitude if they charged five gold a day instead. Another thought I had, which is also probably not possible, is that it would be interesting if random mercenary groups spawned at the pub, offering their services for hire. Like four to six mercenaries with distinctive names and looks. The Crimson Talons one week and The Burning Spears another week, whatever, just example names. Just to add flavor. Some groups would be more expensive than other groups. Spearmen led by a level two half-orc fighter or crossbowmen led by a level three human. And maybe a group that's secretly a bunch of rogues that turn on the party as soon as they leave the keep to go on an adventure. Okay, my suggestions are probably annoying, lol. I'll stop talking now.

sirchet likes this.
  5. Shiningted

Well glad the drunks work :) and yes, knocking them out and not murdering them is the correct response. They're based off a moment in Jedi Knight where you wander into a cantina and find a bunch of grans duking it out - I always put away the light saber and punch on with them. Cookie to the first person to explain the 'killing his brother' reference.

As for the 'followers', I also find they get expensive: especially if you have a stop / start combat like putting some enemies to sleep and having to go back into combat to finish them off (that you get charged another combat fee is essentially a bug). I can tihnk of some better ways to do it, and if people are actually using them, I will. I would ideally like them to level up, buy better gear, and basically behave sensibly.

6. Menen

Menen Member

Gotta be James Cagney, right? You dirty rat, you killed my brother.

I'll probably feel different tomorrow, but there's a part of me that likes the way the followers/hirelings don't level. Feels like a throwback to 2nd Edition where your character could get low level followers and hirelings, but they never got any experience. Or, I suppose like the Leadership feat to make a 3.0 equivalent.

But, in fairness, their usefulness diminishes a touch when they're stuck at ten hit points and still charging straight into combat. Hard to keep them alive through the Raiders challenge, what with Call Lightning dropping from the sky.

7. Shiningted

Yeah, once we could add new feats I immediately thought of leadership but the game doesn't recognise the prerequisites (which admittedly saves me having to make a whole lot of alignment-specific followers).

Only the greatsword guy should charge into combat... hmmm...

EDIT: Not James Cagney, someone far more Russian...

Our Host!