Bugs or Lack of Skills

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Mereinid, Feb 23, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. Mereinid

Mereinid Member

Hey all, just started up the games last night. ToEE+ Co8 New Adventures (sp), & Temple+
    I am in Hommelet now and talked to the priests and finaggled all of the quests out of the two of them I can; Zealotry, Grain for the Church (yes I know this game from the cook), Converts, Moathouse and lost artifact in the old battlefield.
    Well, the miller will not talk to any of my characters, he just keeps telling me to get out. My characters all human NG to CG in alignment. I have a 5 in Intimidate on my fighter, 5 diplomacies on my Wizard. The little guy behind the miller talks to us and wants to convert but the miller just keeps saying a couple greeting things and then every time I bring something up about the Convert of his worker or the grain he just says get out. To all of my characters. Then I head down to Jaroo and he doesn't say get out but all he does is talk about the Old faith in super generic terms and then offers to heal. I have clicked through every line of context, even paying to have diseases and curses removed I didnt even realized I had, something about unable to see the hidden things in the world. (i think this is a cheat from one of the mods).

But those two quests are dead ended. I have completed the Convert of the leather worker and healing his Brother Bing, the cheating rogue one with Furnoc already. So everything was running fine until I started talking to the Miller and he obviously rolled a 1 on a reaction to my group.

Not sure how to proceed from here unless I restart the game over. Is there a reputation, with the town or the miller that I have to work up first? Is that something new?

I will go and try to talk to the beer guy now and get him to swap religions or pay or whatever it is he has to do, then I will try and work on the rest of the quest in town before heading to the Undead *Lich* newbie zone and then off to the Moathouse.
    I will check back here and hopefully, I have done something incorrectly and I can work around it and complete those three quests.

Thanks all; Luck and Loot to you all.

Mereinid

2. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Welcome to ToEE and these forums!

Completing the quests that stay inside Hommlet requires a fair number of skill points in bluff, spot, diplomacy, gather info, intimidate, sense motive, and maybe listen. You can use spells to raise your skill points temporarily. Keep in mind that 1st level characters are not going to be able to do everything they want to. For some of the quests, you might have to wait until you improve your skill points.

Make sure the PC interacting with the locals is the one with the best relevant skill levels.

Rogues and Bards make very good spokespersons for the party, especially if they have high ability scores that affect the needed skills. Other classes have some social skills, but not like a Bard or Rogue have. I like to use a Bard to cover as many of the social skills as possible, and the Rogue to deal with sneaking, lock picking, etc.

You may need to wait until you get another level to complete some of the Hommlet quests.

There is a pretty comprehensive game guide and walk through which has a lot of tips and tricks near the beginning.

I am sure you will get lots of other advice in this thread : )

3. Mereinid

Mereinid Member

Copy that, Florian1. Thanks, man, it has been ages since I have played the game, I signed up here almost 15 years ago but the last time I played the game was almost a decade ago. Life and national conflicts got in my way, luckily I am in a position now that I can do things more leisurely. Okay, I think I might try to find a bard NPC here in Hommlet, or just restart and make 5 characters and have one dedicated bardic beauty doing all the woo'ing and coo'ing at every person in the game.
    Oddly enough, my warrior, Illyana Dragonsbane has the highest Cha and the 5 points in Intimidate. Hmm, is there a way I can go back to the character creation screen or hire -build) an NPC to be a bard without starting over?

*EDIT*, I went back to the Welcome Wench Inn and accidentally clicked on the ledger there on the counter and it opened up the characters screen to create/add a new char! Haha, that's pretty funny.

4. Mereinid

Mereinid Member

Oh, btw, is there anyway to remap the keys? I would like to get the arrow directional keys moved to WASD? My left wrist is revolting against my body by the way I have it bent to get to the arrow keys while I move the mouse with my right?

5. florian1

florian1 Established Member

The only Bard NPC you will find is during random wilderness encounters. Besides, I am pretty sure the skill levels of NPCs only get used if the NPC is performing a physical action such as pick lock, hide, etc. No social nor sensory skills that they have will help your party.

No idea about the keys.

If your Bard is female, you might want to purchase a certain black dress from the tailor. : )

Mereinid likes this.
  6. Mereinid

Mereinid Member

YES SIR! Black dress is bought!, She's a draw Bard 19 Cha and 19 Int +8 or +9 in all of the woo'ing skills. The miller and the Druid opened right up to her. Thank you Mr. J! Your the man.

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Doesn't every woman own a "little black dress"?

Maybe I've just been married to long. ;)

8. Mereinid

Mereinid Member

Mine sure does. =)

sirchet likes this.
Our Host!