Pathfinder: Kingmaker (PC)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anatoliy, Sep 25, 2018.

Remove all ads!
Tags:
  1. Badsirbrian

Badsirbrian Member

Got this on GOG for about $30, about 25% off on cyberday, it's decent and I think it was worth it. Fights end up being quicker than TOEE but still not going to be as tactical. You can add pauses at end of round and other situations which helps some but it won't ever be as exact. Already are several mods for it and I already modded it out with new NPC portrait art and the custom camera mod is nice to give you the control to rotate the view angle and zoom in on the isometric perspective how ever you want.

AOE and group coordination is pretty annoying , normal fireballs hurt more than help sometimes and it's a pain to keep your guys back on a leash to avoid it, the spell won't go off until it is too late and you are already into close quarters unless you force your guys to stop immediately or even run backwards some first. I do like how it teaches you running away from a fight is sometimes the only option, you can enter the wrong cave too early and get wiped pretty quick.

Not too many bugs for me on the 1.2 version, it crashes occasionally like all unity games do on my rig, corrupts my video driver from time to time even on the latest driver.

The technic league wasn't that hard to me, I pounced on them quick and got it first try. Early on the wererats with the mad bomber rat are pretty brutal and took several tries with different tactics to clear for me. The toughest fights so far have been the island with the will o wisp army which also took a couple tries and lots of pre-prep and supplies to win and the crag linoorm was dead after wiping out my whole party except the main but then it regenerated and spanked me because they didn't have the right type of weapon on them to finish it for good.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  2. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

+1 to the notion that mods improve the game drastically. These are the Kingmaker mods I recommend:

-Bag of Tricks
    -Craft Magic Items
    -Dustman
    -Eldritch Arcana (when it's available!)
    -Faster Menu Book Zoom
    -Fast Travel
    -Hair Unlocker
    -Kingdom Resolution
    -Lore Books
    -Respec
    -Sky Shards
    -Toggle AI and Stealth Hotkey
    -Toggle Custom Soundpacks
    -Unity Mod Manager
    -Vendor Progression
    -Weapon Set Hotkeys

Also, get some portrait packs to add some variety!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. Badsirbrian

Badsirbrian Member

Different portraits was the first thing I did before even playing. Changed all the NPCs and main with some art that I modded to fit the game better. I also made one with a mastadon companion in the background for the extra NPC druid I hired at the tavern.
    Quick menu zoom isn't necessary, you do not have to wait, can click on load game while it is zooming in.

4. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Are that separate mods or is ther a mod doing all that aspects?
    Is there a mod showing the area of effect graphically for spells like in ToEE? That would improve the game a whole lot for me.
    Right now I really don't know how to get an access to the game. For example just got really frustrated because I couldn't find a certein area that was supposed to appear on the map when trvelling near.

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I would also suggest the Turn Based Combat mod - while still a work in progress, and missing a few features that we, as ToEE players are used to, and a bit broken in places (5' steps don't work, can't walk through allies spaces, everyone gets full movement even when taking an action in the middle like everyone has Spring Attack for free) I'd still rate it higher than Real Time with Pause.

anatoliy likes this.
  6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Honestly, I kind of lost interest once the game shifted to "ruling a Barony" mode. The load screens were just too much for me on my ancient machine.

7. Endarire

Daryk: An official patch (1.2 or 1.3) was released to reduce load times for all players, and there was a more recent patch to remove even more loading screens.

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Cool, thanks! I'll have to check them out...

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Finally got the updates to download... the game now plays at a glacial pace... guess I'll have to wait until I buy a new computer... :/

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

From what I've read, the issue isn't to do with hardware, it's an issue with Unity upon which the game is built. It just doesn't deal well with RPG's for some reason.

11. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ouch... sad to hear even a new computer won't help...

12. Endarire

Some of the problems are software and others hardware. Having a faster computer will help somewhat with load times, but the amount is TBD.

13. Endarire

I made a Kingmaker Mod Index and it got stickied on Steam's forums! (Alleluia!)

May this help anyone who plays or considers playing this game.

anatoliy and Allyx like this.
  14. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

I finally started the game with a couple of the recomended mods, especially turn based combat mod made all the difference.
    I'm just about to fight the stag lord but feel still a little bit lost about levelling up my characters, Especially Amiri and Valeri. Normally with front fighters next to weapon specialition and focus I go for cleave and great cleave. But I don't know if it's still worth since they seem severly weakend in this version. And what about cleaving finishing?
    Maybe someone can give me advice on this topic.

15. Endarire

@Oleg Ben Loleg
    Cleaving Finish is 3.5's Cleave. Improved Cleaving Finish is 3.5's Great Cleave.

Visit the Kingmaker Discord Server and ask there! Tell them what mods you use, your party builds, and your difficulty settings.

You could also theoretically solo the game as a Sorcerer and just blast everything with burning arc, fireball, and magic missile, at least in the early game.

Our Host!