Magic Weapon: Casting on other party members

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by PracticalKat, Sep 20, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. PracticalKat

PracticalKat Member

Probably a stupid question, but how do I get my cleric to cast Magic Weapon on other party members? When I start casting the spell her own inventory screen pops up and I can enchant her weapon. When I click on another party member a few times their inventory screen opens, but when I target their weapon the message "Invalid target" comes up near the character and nothing happens.

I've tried double clicking on the other character and long clicking. Still no good. Help please :)

2. florian1

florian1 Established Member

By the PnP rules, the Cleric needs to touch the weapon they want to enchant. I am guessing in the ToEE computer game version you need to give the cleric the weapon, the cleric enchants it, then returns it to the owner. The spell is supposed to last 1 minute per level.

3. PracticalKat

PracticalKat Member

Thanks, that makes sense! I will check it out.

4. PracticalKat

PracticalKat Member

It seems to work. The weapon handed to the cleric was selected for the casting, and now glows. But the attack bonus has not increased - reading the weapon description (a masterwork guisarme) "Masterwork weapon: Masterwork guisarme (does not stack with enhancement Masterwork guisarme)".
    Reading further it looks like a masterwork weapon cannot be enhanced magically - which makes Magic Weapon pretty useless :(

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Masterwork weapons gain +1 to attack rolls. Magical +1 weapons gain +1 to attack and damage, but the magical enhancement bonus for the Magic Weapon does not stack with the Masterwork Waepon property.

Casting Magic Weapon on a Masterwork Weapon adds +1 enhancement bonus to damage.

Our Host!