Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

You''ll want to sell the Darkwood buckler to Armario the Cabinet Maker in Hommlet, he gives full price for wooden items. Anyone else will only give you 50% of the full price.

Jaer's Spheres of Fire are made of plant material, and there are no dealers who pay full price for plants, so you'll get the 50% reduced price from any dealer you go to for that particular item.

2. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

The funny thing is that I have done the look at this at the cabinet maker, the leather worker, the tailor, and the blacksmith...They all give the same price for darkwood items like the buckler....It is 99 gps. Also, I am using COG 8.1 new content.

3. Tathum

Tathum Member

I've combed through this thread, looking for people with similar issues, and found a few allusions to the problem, but none that seem to match.

My basic problem is that whenever I enter Homlett, Brother Smyth attempts to initiate a conversation, but I have no options to select, just a blank dialogue box. I can move the cursor around, but without any options to click on, I'm unable to do anything. I'm just trapped on this screen until I force quit the game. This occurs no matter where I enter the town from (North, South, or East); the screen just shifts over to Smyth, the dialogue box opens, and then nothing.

Once, with a Chaotic Evil party, he ended up moving forward in the conversation after being on the screen for a short while, but I seem to have been stuck in every other party attempt since.

This latest attempt, I'm playing a Neutral Good team with a Fighter / Wizard and Fighter / Cleric. At this point in the game, I've done Deklo Grove, Welkwood Bog, and Emridy Meadows. The only NPC I've taken along was Elmo and I sacrificed him to the Hill Giant at the meadows to grab his head, so Masterwork Smyth has been unlocked (already purchased a masterwork mace and short sword from him).

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@Tathum It certainly sounds familiar to a bug that has been reported before, I think that issue was caused by an improper or botched installation.

I would recommend that you install ToEE exactly as per our installation instructions (IE not in a "program files" folder, add patch 1 and 2 or GOG - whichever applies, then Co8 8.1.0 Standard or New Content as per your preference, activate the module with TFE-X.exe) and start a new game.

If the problem persists, post back again and we'll try to help.

Gaear likes this.
  5. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

Odd, I just sold a Darkwood buckler and a large Darkwood shield to the cabinet maker for an increased price over the other vendors.

6. messedup

After posting, I went back and it was messed up. I updated Java to 161 (I think) and it seems to be your way also....I guess computers are good at things.

7. Tathum

Tathum Member

I'm fairly positive that this issue is related to the locked chest that Smyth sets out.

It occurs only after I've completed the moathouse. I've sold Lareth's boots, turned in the quest, gotten Nulb as a destination, then slept back at the Wench. When I step out, Smyth attempts to initiate a conversation with a blank text box.

In some instances (either the first time it occurs or after reloading and trying again), I get dialogue choices (numbers without any questions or replies), allowing me to press a number and close out the box. After this, the issue is resolved and I end up with a free set of masterwork half-plate in my lead character's inventory.

As far as being caused by an improper installation, wouldn't that affect more than just a single instance? Isn't it more probable that a single file (that governs the rules of how a specific event is triggered) is corrupted?

8. Allyx

You could be right, the thing is though that while you aren't the first to experience this exact bug, and I seem to recall seing it myself, you are in the minority of people who experience the bug at all.

I'm far more inclined to believe that the problem lies within your installation than the modpack itself, because if it were affecting everyone else as well, the issue would have been fixed already.

9. crhallen

crhallen Toee addict Supporter

Help! I just purchased a laptop with win 10 with virus pro removed. Re-downloaded from GOG (this is my 5-6 new computer load since I started the MOD) when I run the game as admin, then approve the user account control for TFE-X.exe the front end pops up as it has for years. when I hit play the front end disappears as usual, a small icon appears in the toolbar below and disappears in 2-3 seconds with no message just poof.

I have been searching for days on a fix for this an hoping one of you wizards can help me or I will need to check into rehab soon.

10. crhallen

installed on c:\temple of elemental evil, not in the program files

11. Allyx

@crhallen This sounds like a firewall issue, check your firewall hasn't removed Temple.dll ToEE.exe and or TFE-X.exe first, if they are quarantined, restore and exclude them from the firewall's searches in future.

There is a thread here about the firewall issues ToEE has and a list of firewalls that don't interfere with ToEE's normal operation.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  12. messedup

If I remember this one, you are to also have your anti-virus not look at where TOEE is. It seems to be a trojan in anti-virus programs.

13. messedup

I ran into this and they came up with a fix for it. It seems that you haven't gotten the patch for this problem...Then again, I think someone came up with a post with all the patches. It was in a zip file called "fixes so far" and I know that because I still have the saved file on my computer.

14. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

Yes, I have had this bug but it has not re-occurred since I had to Re-install everything.

15. crhallen

Thanks, I somehow got it to run by doing the following:
    1. uninstalled the eset security program and enabled the windows defender.
    2. disabled the firewall since I didn't figure out if it was isolating the files you/Gaer mentioned in his AV thread
    3. I enabled intro
    4. I right clicked over desktop icon and selected troubleshoot compatibility and indicated that it worked previously with XP
    5. Now it works and the endorphins are flowing.

new issue: the game does not take over full screen but is within the windows so I can see the other window's icons, etc. I played with the resolution options in front end but to no avail. I am certain this is an easy fix but please accelerate the learning curve for me. thanks.
    I am sure you Co8 guys hear it a lot but many thanks

Our Host!