Reactive Earth Temple Issue

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by hugin7, Oct 3, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. hugin7

hugin7 Member

After finding Wonnilon, I opened the prison doors near him and found zombies. For some reason, nearby guards went hostile along with the zombies, so I killed all of them. When I returned to Romag's original location to pick up his quests, he was no longer there.

I noticed that the central area became blocked with a barrier that was not there during my previous visit. This barrier was not mentioned in any of the walkthroughs I'm using. I was able to click on the barrier and gain entrance via diplomacy; breaking in was also an option. Turns out that Romag was relocated to this area due to a "Reactive Temple" mod, which was implemented in Co8.

I was curious whether it was possible to trigger combat with the entire group of enemies in the area, and sure enough, it is. However, regardless of whether I started combat via dialog options after gaining entrance or by breaking the barrier, I had issues with the mouse cursor. When I hovered over enemies during combat, they were not highlighted by a red circle and I was not getting a sword cursor, as if they were not hostile. The enemies did attempt to fight, but I had to move next to them and use full attack/single attack to actually hit them. This was mostly just an inconvenience and I was able to complete the encounter, but something clearly wasn't quite right.

Has anyone experienced this issue and is there a known solution? I restarted the game multiple times, but the problem persists.

2. hugin7

hugin7 Member

3. hugin7

hugin7 Member

Another issue I noticed during the same encounter is that the targets I charmed sat there, as if paralyzed, instead of attacking enemies.

4. florian1

florian1 Established Member

That would make the Charm Person/Monster spells closer to the PnP. The two Charm spells are not meant to make the subjects fight on your behalf, just become friendly towards you. As has been mentioned elsewhere, Charm Person in ToEE is overpowered.

I have noticed the inactivity of charmed subjects on a number of occasions. Even if that is all a Charm spell accomplishes, it is still more effective than Charm is supposed to be, by taking the subject out of the fight, and I think for a much longer duration than some other spells that accomplish the same such as Hold spells and Tasha's Hideous Laughter.

5. hugin7

hugin7 Member

It's more a issue of consistency, rather than balance, for me. If ToEE's design goal is to have charmed enemies fight for you, then it should happen all the time, rather than bug out arbitrarily on a few occasions.

Charm spells also have a major drawback - if your subject is killed by an enemy, you lose the experience.

Our Host!